• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding Canaries

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I found out that one of my green canaries is a half Gloster canary mix. I might breed him with a mosaic canary I think those two will produce some nice chicks.

Hopefully I'll have some nice canary chicks this year. The canaries I'm currently breeding are yellow canaries.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Disappointment... My canary laid a nice egg but she missed the nesting pan and it went splat on the cage floor.

I'm not sure she knows what she is doing.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
The canary has laid another egg, this time the egg is in the nest pan so hopefully she will sit on it and it will hatch. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. She has more eggs to come.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Well sad update... yep I thought I'd be saying this but I really had hope.

The canary broke her eggs and tossed them out. Maybe she was too young to breed. I've removed the nest pan from the breeding cage. I will wait another year and then try her again for breeding.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is there a particular reason you are trying to breed them? Can you not just keep them as pets/companions without trying to encourage the breeding?

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Is there a particular reason you are trying to breed them? Can you not just keep them as pets/companions without trying to encourage the breeding?
I needed a few more finches for my aviary, I would have bought the extra I needed but they have become more expensive now but also there is nothing better than breeding my own and watching them grow. Once the chicks are ready to leave there nest and have become independent I'm removing all nest boxes. Many of the zebra finches are quite old and I need some more young finches. Its just to keep the population up.

As for the canaries I wanted to see what chicks they produce but I'm not breeding the canaries anymore until next year. I'm going to try breeding a mosaic canary with my gloster canary.

Last edited:

fluff86

Walking the driveway
One of my yellow canaries sat on my hand this morning while I was sorting out the food for the day he is always happy and sings the most and comes to the aviary door to great me.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Good news well I had 3 zebra finch chicks leave the nest yesterday and to my surprise there are more chicks, I hadn't checked the other nest box but this morning I noticed 7 chicks in total out and about with 2 more babies in another nest box.