• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Hey guys. I was hoping someone might be able to help me find out a little more info on my girl. I don't know anything about her past and I'm just curious to see where she came from. I know there's not too many HH breeders out there, so I was hoping her legband code might be familiar to one of you. It starts with udf. Anybody else have a bird with that breeder code? Hope everyone's having a great day!:bounce4:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Hi - My HH Chester does not have a leg band on at all. I am not sure who that band code belongs to, it is not in my registry database. What area are you in? While these birds get shipped but a lot don't so hard to say if the breeder is in the same state as you are or not.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Thanks for checking, Jan. I believe I've tried the pionus registry before, myself. I'm in NC. Doesn't really matter that much, I was just curious. Your babies are adorable, btw :) Pi's seem like really neat birds.

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
If you go to the Pampered Peeps website, www.pamperedpeeps.com, then go to the link for articles, in one of the articles she discusses bands and gives lots of info about why breeders band and how to trace bands. One of the websites she says is really good for tracing bands is https://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LegBandNumbers/join Apparently you have to join since it's a yahoo group. She warns not to give out your band number on a public forum. Hope you have some luck.

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I second the above question, is there a two letter code going vertical on the band like AZ for Arizona

Also found the following info online:

Organizations such as the Society of Parrot Breeders and Exhibitors, the American Federation of Aviculture, the American and National Cockatiel Societies, etc., sell closed bands for their members that =generally= provide the following info:

Issuing organization initials/logo, Breeder’s unique ID code, year of hatch, state, and a number that identifies that particular bird.

A breeder who keeps good records can provide you the exact hatchdate, the parents, whatever genetic info they have, and other misc. info about that bird if given the band number. Most of these organizations keep contact records for the breeders, so if you call the AFA with a band number, they can put you in contact with the breeder.

Several commercial companies also sell closed bands that can have on them an ID code, the state, the year of hatch, and the bird’s number, or less or more than that. L&M keeps some records and may be able to put you in touch with a breeder who uses their bands, but a non-organizational band doesn’t tell you what company it was purchased from.

Last edited:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
If you go to the Pampered Peeps website, www.pamperedpeeps.com, then go to the link for articles, in one of the articles she discusses bands and gives lots of info about why breeders band and how to trace bands. One of the websites she says is really good for tracing bands is https://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LegBandNumbers/join Apparently you have to join since it's a yahoo group. She warns not to give out your band number on a public forum. Hope you have some luck.
Nancy - I wonder why she warns not to give out leg band #'s on public forums... that to me makes no sense at all... there is not much you can do with a leg band numbers to those who might run across them. The only time I see where it is more vital if it involves a lost, found or stolen bird. So it can be situational on that.

Hawkygal - L&M stopped giving out breeder information to those who request on who the leg band code belongs to.

Last edited:

Artistic Feathers

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jenn
I wanna know if you find out!!! I would def. love to know where my blue quaker came from. Somewhere in MD but idk where.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
update! well, we've been renovating a bit at work and moving around lots of records and my co-worker found gypsy's DNA certificate from when she was a couple of months old. I guess the lady that brought her here had it with her. i don't know if the person listed was the new owner or the breeder, but it's a start. exciting!! i'm really curious to trace her past. the person is Nancy Young from palm harbor florida if that sounds familiar to any of you as a breeder. too cool to have found a baby record in any case:heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Here's my list for band info....

There is the Leg Band Numbers Yahoo Group...
LegBandNumbers : Leg Band Numbers

Leg Band Registry (new - last two ones have been shut down)
Leg Band Registry

A few places that produce leg bands may or may not help trace the band if it's one of theirs...
L_M_Bird Leg Bands Products Catalogue
Red Bird Products
DL Products - Leg Bands, Bird Bands, Bird Rings

Information on Leg Bands
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - The ABC's Of Leg Bands - Identifying Birds
Choosing Your Bird

I checked LegBandNumbers Yahoo Group, and supposedly, it is a DL Products leg band (see link above). Unfortunately, that's all I can find... so you could ask DL Products, or get in contact with the person [on LegBandNumbers] who found the info and see if they know anything.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
wow! thanks so much for the info! so nice of you. i'll update when i get some more info:dance5:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
how exciting! I hope you are able to get more info:) Always nice to know where they came from :D

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
i'm really curious as to why she was rehomed in the first place. she was obviously somebody's hand raised baby. i'm the fourth person to have her that i know of in just the last year and a half and one of those people apparantly owned her twice, although only for a week the second time. from what i can gather, that person acquires expensive birds and sells thems/trades them for others. i inquired to that person about the "home" she got her from before she sold/gave/passed the bird to my emplyer and it sounded like maybe that person was a breeder of other species and that's pretty much all i got. i do feel like that person probably tried to use her as a breeder, as i had heard someone say that, but i've gotten lots of conflicting stories. she was pretty bald by the time my boss got her though. no wonder, with all that shuffling around. :( she just turned 15, so i almost hate to think that she's been passed around lots more over the years or was somebody's pet for a long period of time and then started getting traded here and there. either way, it's pretty sad. makes me so angry that people treat these intelligent and emotional, PRECIOUS, beings like they don't matter or are things to make money off of with no thought to their wellbeing and sanity. it's bad enough they have to live in our environments through no choice of their own, we owe it to them to do what's best for them and make them as happy, healthy, and loved as possible. but of course, i'm preaching to the choir here:D it's so nice to have a place to go where people really understand how amazing birds are. you all rock:heart: I love me some avian avenue

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
ok, so far i've found out that Gypsy was originally bought from a pet store in florida when she was less than two months old and her name was originally Hattie:), the person that her dna certificate was issued to is to someone that shares the same last name as the individual that signed the invoice from the pet store she was bought from (i'm guessing relative), and after looking up a phone number written on a copy of the invoice with a local area code, i realized that it belongs to the person listed on her DNA cert as the owner in 1996 AND the address listed with it on the net says she lives about an hour and 30 minutes from me. I'm really curious as to how long the woman owned her and why she got rid of her, do you all think it would be a good idea or a bad idea to try contacting her just to get some more background info on her? I'd really like to know what happened between her leaving that lady as Hattie and ending up with a bird dealer with the name pumpkin. i'd really like to find out when she started plucking and why if i could. what would you guys/gals do?

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I would totally jump on it if it were me. I have the same questions about some of my birds and wouldnt be able to stand not asking :) Cant hurt to try and I'll bet she would be happy to know that she is in good hands, too :)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Yes, I think I'm going to have to do it. She might have baby pictures or videos of her!:heart: I also wonder if she sold her to the dealer or if the dealer just happened to get the paperwork from someone else. She may have thought she was going to a permanent home. if you count the breeder and pet store, I'm the EIGHTH home she's had. And that's only that I know of. No wonder she's obsessed with me, is anxious, and plucks. Probably waiting to get dumped again:(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is exciting for you! Cochise is one year older than Gypsy according to his band, and was hatched in GA. That is all I know. I joined the band list but could not find any info. I had his band removed. Now it does not matter to me. He is my sweet boy hawkie, and that's good enough for me.:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.