• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breed for me?

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Post a photo. I am curious to see what he (or she) looks like.
One of the pictures give her the almond shape look, but besides that, that's the only picture.

She also has a stripe of gold when she is fluffy, but right now, I stripped her out and her whole back is completely gold. The gold colored hairs are actually pretty wiry, whereas the white hairs are extremely fluffy and soft! Also, her ears are actually smaller than they appear and can flop to the front instead of the front, but not always.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is very cute. What is her name? I think that she is a more likely a poodle terrier mix.

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
Larger non shedding breeds that I would consider:
A saluki would be fabulous to run with. An Afghan too!! And cool looking!!
Irish Water Spaniels
I would second Portugese Water Dogs and standard poodles.

What about a Wheaten?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Giants do shed, so keep that in mind. Standard poodles are excellent, as others have said, but too soft for me. You haven't mentioned size that I saw. How about a Havanese?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How about a Bedlington terrier?

rompydompy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Natalie
I'd suggest a Portuguese water dog... They are playful and energetic enough to go hiking or swimming with, but gentle enough (not big heavy jumpy things) to be OK with elderly. They're hypoallergenic, and large in stature.

Whichever breed you decide in, do extensive research on the breeder! If they don't invite you to see their home wherever the dogs spend time, run! Demand paperwork on the parents, grandparents, and previous litters pedigrees and health records. It's also helpful to find other pet parents that have purchased a pet from that breeder to see the confirmation of a year old pup, and how they've been health and behaviorally in that first year.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The AKC breeder referral is a good resource, too.

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I really think you current dog looks like a Schnoodle, which is a mini schnauzer poodle mix. I've known a handful over the years and that's pretty standard for their look, especially the coat type you're describing.

I'll also throw my hat in for a Standard Poodle. They tick off every single one of your boxes and while friendly, they are definitely not Golden Retriever/Lab OMG I-love-everybody friendly.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
They are wonderful loving dogs I had three of them they just want to be with you and play and cuddle, they were bred to be a companion dogs.
we miss our dogs very much only bad thing about this breed is the heart problems they can get that's what all three of our passed from heart failure :(
I'm sorry about your dogs, unfortunately Ollie does have a heart murmur, :( however it is small so it won't effect him for a while.

rompydompy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Natalie
@Jazzy* @Animallover03 I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved Cavs and their heart problems.... My parents lost theirs this year as well.... Keep hope, we've spoken to a couple of breeders across the country that have had success with their pets health, so there is promise of improving the breed. Have either of you looked into low sodium foods?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
@Jazzy* @Animallover03 I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved Cavs and their heart problems.... My parents lost theirs this year as well.... Keep hope, we've spoken to a couple of breeders across the country that have had success with their pets health, so there is promise of improving the breed. Have either of you looked into low sodium foods?
I think that is what Ollie is on, but he is my grandma's dog so I am unsure. It's hard because his food can't have grains of any kind, and some other things he can't have also.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
[QUOTE="rompydompy, post: 2419446, member: 17353"
Whichever breed you decide in, do extensive research on the breeder! If they don't invite you to see their home wherever the dogs spend time, run! Demand paperwork on the parents, grandparents, and previous litters pedigrees and health records. It's also helpful to find other pet parents that have purchased a pet from that breeder to see the confirmation of a year old pup, and how they've been health and behaviorally in that first year.[/QUOTE]

Can't always find the right breeder within one's state or even within the country depending on the breed so you can't visit with the pups but can have the breeder send photos and videos. It is better to meet the pups up close and personal but sometimes that is not an option. Agree about getting references from others' who have purchased from the breeder and also doing a search online to see if anyone has posted info about any breeders being considered. Look at the breeders' contracts. Some of them have some interesting stipulations and the contracts seem a bit restrictive.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
She is very cute. What is her name? I think that she is a more likely a poodle terrier mix.

Haha! She looks rather disheveled rest of the time. I use her name as my name online, which is June. :p

Larger non shedding breeds that I would consider:
A saluki would be fabulous to run with. An Afghan too!! And cool looking!!
Irish Water Spaniels
I would second Portugese Water Dogs and standard poodles.

What about a Wheaten?
Not good for endurance or that great off leash. I love an off leash dog for safety reasons!
I'm thinking about water dogs, but sadly, we don't have dog friendly ponds/lakes (I don't have a pool right now either), nor am I comfortably close to the ocean. I would feel a little guilty owning a dog bred to swim without letting that dog be able to actually swim. :(
Wheatens are a bit too small for me, which I why I am thinking about Airedales.

Yes, terrier poodle or terrier maltese, maybe.
Not maltese. She's about 30 pounds. Maybe poodle, but her body seems a bit weird to have poodle mixed in...

Giants do shed, so keep that in mind. Standard poodles are excellent, as others have said, but too soft for me. You haven't mentioned size that I saw. How about a Havanese?
Really? I've owned a Giant Schnauzer before, and they didn't shed enough for us to actually notice then. However, we did take our Schnauzers to the groomers about twice a year to shave the coat down very short!

How about a Bedlington terrier?
Huh. Bedlingtons seem like an okay fit, but they do seem smaller. I'm really looking for a bigger dog because I am a single female that loves to run early in the morning.

I'd suggest a Portuguese water dog... They are playful and energetic enough to go hiking or swimming with, but gentle enough (not big heavy jumpy things) to be OK with elderly. They're hypoallergenic, and large in stature.

Whichever breed you decide in, do extensive research on the breeder! If they don't invite you to see their home wherever the dogs spend time, run! Demand paperwork on the parents, grandparents, and previous litters pedigrees and health records. It's also helpful to find other pet parents that have purchased a pet from that breeder to see the confirmation of a year old pup, and how they've been health and behaviorally in that first year.
Thinking about them, but again, I don't have a pool and because of the SoCal drought, not many ponds/lakes. If there are ponds/lakes, they aren't dog friendly. The ocean is pretty far for me too, and I'd hate to own a dog that was bred to swim and let her have access to what she was bred for.

The AKC breeder referral is a good resource, too.
I will be using that when looking for a dog. :)

I really think you current dog looks like a Schnoodle, which is a mini schnauzer poodle mix. I've known a handful over the years and that's pretty standard for their look, especially the coat type you're describing.

I'll also throw my hat in for a Standard Poodle. They tick off every single one of your boxes and while friendly, they are definitely not Golden Retriever/Lab OMG I-love-everybody friendly.
Wow, thanks! She doesn't have eyebrows or a beard, though...

Are Standard Poodles reserved with strangers? I already mentioned why I'm looking for a more aloof kind of dog.

[QUOTE="rompydompy, post: 2419446, member: 17353"

Can't always find the right breeder within one's state or even within the country depending on the breed so you can't visit with the pups but can have the breeder send photos and videos. It is better to meet the pups up close and personal but sometimes that is not an option. Agree about getting references from others' who have purchased from the breeder and also doing a search online to see if anyone has posted info about any breeders being considered. Look at the breeders' contracts. Some of them have some interesting stipulations and the contracts seem a bit restrictive.

[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely going to be very responsible and thoroughly research my breeder. That is with UTMOST certainty.

Thank you for everything, everyone. If anyone has more advice or opinions, keep them coming! I'm hearing a lot of good things about Standard Poodles, which is a good thing, I guess. I'm only worried about how aloof they are in general, but I know that they're amazing dogs! ^.^

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think I would classify Standard Poodles as "reserved" when it comes to strangers. Aloof implies a little more suspicion then I have seen from them. Obviously, every dog is an individual so you do want to pay attention to the lines for a good indication of their reaction to strangers.

Your reasons for wanting a more aloof dog are completely understandable, but I would suggest that for what you want an intimidating look is more useful than an actual aloof temperament. Of all my dogs my Frenchie was the most stranger suspicious and likely to bite first and ask questions later. The freaking Frenchie that everyone wanted to snuggle and thought he was the most adorable thing like ever. On the other hand my black pittie mix is just about the most people loving fool that has ever existed......and yet, despite his whole body tail wag wiggle with excitement at the mere thought of meeting a person, 90% of folks are wary of him.

For the standard poo I would go with an all black dog kept in a short cut. Coupled with a more reserved temperament and most folks up to no good would move on to find an easier target.

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
I have had many different breeds of dogs but never a poodle. I currently have a big red pit bull named ava, and a rat terrier/chihaha lol named keydah. I really never set out to find a specific breed so this is interesting to read everyones advice its kinda making me miss my roscoe. I like my mutts tho. sometimes they can surprise you..

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lagottos can be reserved with strangers if that is what you are looking for. Of course, they are not as large as a Standard Poodle. If you are looking for a poodle I would recommend checking out this forum Poodle Forum - Standard Poodle, Toy Poodle, Miniature Poodle Forum ALL Poodle owners too! When I was researching getting a Standard I reviewed the posts on various breeders in their Poodle Breeder Directory discussion area.

I noticed that you are located in California and there is a Northern California Poodle Rescue Group that has dogs for adoption. NorCal Poodle Rescue
There is also a Southern California group but last time I checked it seemed that they were not doing adoptions any more. Maybe that has changed??

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm a bully-breed fan, so can't suggest much. :D
Standard poodles are great dogs though, a friend of mine has three.

Hope you find the dog for you! :)

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
I'm a bully-breed fan, so can't suggest much. :D
Standard poodles are great dogs though, a friend of mine has three.

Hope you find the dog for you! :)
I love bully-breeds, but not hypoallergenic, sadly. :(

I think I would classify Standard Poodles as "reserved" when it comes to strangers. Aloof implies a little more suspicion then I have seen from them. Obviously, every dog is an individual so you do want to pay attention to the lines for a good indication of their reaction to strangers.

Your reasons for wanting a more aloof dog are completely understandable, but I would suggest that for what you want an intimidating look is more useful than an actual aloof temperament. Of all my dogs my Frenchie was the most stranger suspicious and likely to bite first and ask questions later. The freaking Frenchie that everyone wanted to snuggle and thought he was the most adorable thing like ever. On the other hand my black pittie mix is just about the most people loving fool that has ever existed......and yet, despite his whole body tail wag wiggle with excitement at the mere thought of meeting a person, 90% of folks are wary of him.

For the standard poo I would go with an all black dog kept in a short cut. Coupled with a more reserved temperament and most folks up to no good would move on to find an easier target.
Huh. I always thought they were like Goldens/Labs where they're just I-LOVE-EVERYONE sort of temperament, but if not that, maybe just a bit less? It's amazing to hear that. Do you have any thoughts 'bout Airedale Terriers? I just want to put out my feelers for different dog breeds. I don't know if I'll go with a Standard Poo but they've definitely gone up my list. I haven't met any yet, but I've met some Airedales and a good amount of Schnauzers, so I'm confident in their temperament more so than I am with Poodles.

And seriously, THANK YOU so much for understand... I've posted on a couple of other forums and I really received a lot of hate for that. My current dog was just flat out aloof when I didn't give the OK, so I was sort of comfortable with her. Still, wished sometimes that she was a bit bigger, but I knew that she'd try to protect me with everything in her.

I have had many different breeds of dogs but never a poodle. I currently have a big red pit bull named ava, and a rat terrier/chihaha lol named keydah. I really never set out to find a specific breed so this is interesting to read everyones advice its kinda making me miss my roscoe. I like my mutts tho. sometimes they can surprise you..
I love mutts, but my current dog, who is a mutt, was diagnosed with Autoimmune Anemia. I'm turned off by mutts right now because I wasn't, and had no possible way to be, aware of her family history.

Lagottos can be reserved with strangers if that is what you are looking for. Of course, they are not as large as a Standard Poodle. If you are looking for a poodle I would recommend checking out this forum Poodle Forum - Standard Poodle, Toy Poodle, Miniature Poodle Forum ALL Poodle owners too! When I was researching getting a Standard I reviewed the posts on various breeders in their Poodle Breeder Directory discussion area.

I noticed that you are located in California and there is a Northern California Poodle Rescue Group that has dogs for adoption. NorCal Poodle Rescue
There is also a Southern California group but last time I checked it seemed that they were not doing adoptions any more. Maybe that has changed??
Yes, I am in Southern California. :) I've seen some rescues around here, so that isn't an issue. I'm probably going to a breeder with retired/thought-they-were-show-worthy-but-then-not dogs. I really want to know about the medical history of my next dog. I know that rescuing is a great thing, but I know that when I get another dog, I'm going to be constantly worrying about how he or she is going to have some chronic disease that really limits their quality of life without some info on their background. Stupid, I know. >.>

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
I love bully-breeds, but not hypoallergenic, sadly. :(

Huh. I always thought they were like Goldens/Labs where they're just I-LOVE-EVERYONE sort of temperament, but if not that, maybe just a bit less? It's amazing to hear that. Do you have any thoughts 'bout Airedale Terriers? I just want to put out my feelers for different dog breeds. I don't know if I'll go with a Standard Poo but they've definitely gone up my list. I haven't met any yet, but I've met some Airedales and a good amount of Schnauzers, so I'm confident in their temperament more so than I am with Poodles.

And seriously, THANK YOU so much for understand... I've posted on a couple of other forums and I really received a lot of hate for that. My current dog was just flat out aloof when I didn't give the OK, so I was sort of comfortable with her. Still, wished sometimes that she was a bit bigger, but I knew that she'd try to protect me with everything in her.

I love mutts, but my current dog, who is a mutt, was diagnosed with Autoimmune Anemia. I'm turned off by mutts right now because I wasn't, and had no possible way to be, aware of her family history.

Yes, I am in Southern California. :) I've seen some rescues around here, so that isn't an issue. I'm probably going to a breeder with retired/thought-they-were-show-worthy-but-then-not dogs. I really want to know about the medical history of my next dog. I know that rescuing is a great thing, but I know that when I get another dog, I'm going to be constantly worrying about how he or she is going to have some chronic disease that really limits their quality of life without some info on their background. Stupid, I know. >.>
I'm sorry to hear that...unfortunately that is not good news. however I'm a believer in its not the breed lol. I recently loss my pure bred chihaha sorry that's what the kids always called Chihuahua. He had a leaky valve in his heart. he has now been gone for 3 weeks. it came on sudden and even testing didn't give me a heads up. we are now watching his daughter just in case. she is not pure bred she is a cross breed so they tell me her chances of getting it are smaller. I hope your faith in the "mutts" comes back. in the end it could have happened either way. sometimes the dice just don't line up the way we want. best wishes for your fur baby