• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Breathing Emergency

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Birds can't cough. Was it a yawn?
It wasn't a yawn even, she yawns but it was like an incomplete yawn! Yawn sees bigger stretch of mouth. It was Like just she opens her mouth and closes! Someone had mentioned maybe that his tiel is making mouth movements like coughing, i don't remember so I just asked, I knew they don't cough like humans of course.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Taking her into a steamy bathroom may help with airways - if she's not simply out of breath. It is possible for them to get dust and boogers - although getting boogers out of a small bird isn't easy! (if nose is not blocked - leave it be!) If there is some dust/grime in her nostrils, you can get saline drops (the saline drops for humans is fine!) and put a drop in each nostril.

Bath might help with a displaced feather.

Other than that, keep an eye on her! if the behavior continues or gets worse, see a vet! If she seems off in any other way, see a vet!
Thanks for these suggestions :) I'll try bath. Also, I do have sodium carboxy methyl cellulose drops which are nothing but saline+sterile and are used for eyes. Can they be used for ears? Just asking!!

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Maybe they were the source of her night frights? Glad she seems okay!
You know her first night fright had resulted in bleeding :-( but fortunately it stopped and blood clotted! I noticed today that she was preening around those feathers which had broken earlier and clotted blood was there, and she made a noise in pain. Thrice I noticed same thing when she tried to preen in that area, maybe the blood or feathers are hurting! And maybe that's what troubled her last night!!

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Was she just stretching her muscles or maybe her ears were itchy, sometimes Burt does the thing you mentioned with the beak (looks like a yawn but not as big) and I have found if I give him a tickle under the chin (back/behind bottom part of beak) or near the ears he really loves it and pushes in so I rub harder......this kind of indicates to me that he was a little itchy before I helped by rubbing his ears or chin area. Could this be the same thing your bird is doing?

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Was she just stretching her muscles or maybe her ears were itchy, sometimes Burt does the thing you mentioned with the beak (looks like a yawn but not as big) and I have found if I give him a tickle under the chin (back/behind bottom part of beak) or near the ears he really loves it and pushes in so I rub harder......this kind of indicates to me that he was a little itchy before I helped by rubbing his ears or chin area. Could this be the same thing your bird is doing?
That maybe a thing, I've heard many tiels do yawn when tickled near ears, if it was that I shouldn't worry:D I become very anxious at times and fear a lot :shy:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Like @Hankmacaw suggested please calm down. Do you know that birds can sense your stress and become stressed themselves? Its good to keep an eye out on your birds health and welfare but not too overprotective. Enjoy them and try not to stress out.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm glad Shine is doing better. :pinklol3:
maybe her ears were itchy
This is what I was thinking. I've often seen Luv Bug and Buzzard do those small yawn-like motions after scratching near their ears with their feet. It's almost like they've tickled themselves. They could be relieving pressure in their eustachian tubes too; my ears pop when I do that. :)

About the tail bobbing, I was also wondering if she might be out of breath after the ant scare like @Monica mentioned & I also agree that some steamy air in the bathroom is a good idea. We regularly take our guys into the bathroom while we shower, not just when they have bogies.
:lol:

Last edited:

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
I'm glad Shine is doing better. :pinklol3:
This is what I was thinking. I've often seen Luv Bug and Buzzard do those small yawn-like motions after scratching near their ears with their feet. It's almost like they've tickled themselves. They could be relieving pressure in their eustachian tubes; my ears pop when I do that. :)

About the tail bobbing, I was also wondering if she might be out of breath after the ant scare like @Monica mentioned & I also agree that some steamy air in the bathroom is a good idea. We regularly take our guys into the bathroom while we shower, not just when they have bogies.
:lol:
I believe I should start taking her to shower once in a while too:D

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I believe I should start taking her to shower once in a while too:D
If she likes it. Luv Bug really likes it & struts along the top of shower door and will even hop back & forth onto hubby to get wet a few times. :laugh-bounce: Buzzard on the other hand doesn't like to be in the shower, but he likes to sit on the shower rod & enjoy the steam (and try to chew the wall! :bored: ) while we're in there. A few minutes of steam is always beneficial and can help with pin feathers and dry skin, too. I wonder if it might help with the discomfort of her broken feathers, help loosen any scabs?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She might have a broken or misplaced feather... hopefully it's just that and she's not picking at the area. If she's picking, she may very well squawk/squeak each time she hurts herself.