• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breaking Tail Feathers?

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Recently, I adopted a little Goffins too, it was a big deal and she has been just a joy.
Frankie is a very, very hard player, she runs around flapping, hopping up and down. Constantly rolling on her back. She has also been breaking a lot of tail feathers, her tail is getting thinner, and after they break, she usually chews them off, around a few centimeters from the base of her tail, so she has about 4, maybe more, I need to count, tiny, short and hard feathers.

I was wondering if I should be pulling these feathers? And any suggestions on how to prevent more of this?

Thank you!

(Picture doesn't show her current tail, just how cute she is..)

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
When parrots play roughly, their tail feathers tend to be broken. That is why so many young macaws have rough looking tails. There is not much that you can do about that. I would not pull the broken feathers unless they are bleeding.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
It happens with little ones too. My daughter's budgies love to tease my parrotlets. The love jumping on my parrotlets' cages and making fun. My parrotlets get so angry, they will bite the budgies' tails through the cage. Sola's tail was almost all chewed to shreds. Now she's much more careful how she makes fun (from a much larger distance) and her tail has come back beautifully.

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
When parrots play roughly, their tail feathers tend to be broken. That is why so many young macaws have rough looking tails. There is not much that you can do about that. I would not pull the broken feathers unless they are bleeding.
Good to know, she broke her last surviving tail feather today. I've got one funny looking dinasaur, but I love her.