• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breakfast

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Such a lovely day..so I gave the canaries a breakfast to match. On the menu this morning was mixed spinach, rocket and watercress and grated carrot, a snip of cress and a small pinch of raisins.

I really enjoy giving them a variety..dark greens are the most important for their colour pigments. 20180705_090541-1.jpg 20180705_091150.jpg 20180705_091121.jpg 20180705_090917.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're so cute!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh they are loving that! Mine only got sprouts so far today.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
OH MY GOODNESS THEY ARE SO CUTE :heart:
I have 2 questions: what is rocket? And do you coursley chop the raisins?

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
They are..too cute. They get spoilt. Im finding having canaries fascinating. .only just coming up to a year. Started with 6 and now have 27 including the chicks but most are going.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
The rocket is a salad leaf with a peppery taste and I give the raisins whole. I watch them carry one off to a ledge and put a foot on it to hold it steady and then tear it apart and then another will come along and pinch it

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
What do you feed your canaries fruit and veg wise? Im always looking for inspiration so they dont get bored

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
What do you feed your canaries fruit and veg wise? Im always looking for inspiration so they dont get bored
Fruits:
strawberries
apples
tangerines and oranges (i remove to tough part so he cann get to the soft pulp)
grapes (without the skin)

Veggetables (its usually different combinations of at least 2 veggies):
kale
broccoli
brussle sprouts (i microwave it in a bowl of water so it's not tough, and I shred it)
cabbage
Romaine lettuce
carrots
cilantro
chopped mung bean sprouts

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Oh wow @sheeluhwhet that is quite a menu. Its interesting because I always leave the skin on the grapes and they stick their beaks in the end where it was attached to the vine..Im going to start deskinning them to make it easier for them. Mine wont touch raspberries or strawberries but will try again and the oranges too..that is a new one for them. Oh I also feed mine sweetcorn and the dark kale. They get the kale each day for their tea lol..its hot so I like to give them some fresh before they roost. Thank you

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Mine love love love oranges and cherries. I slice most fruit in half or smaller so they can get a start on it.

The more varied veggies the better - everything offers different nutrients. I mostly throw all the veggies in the food processor and chop small - the canaries don't need that but the finches do, and canaries are fine with it.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@finchly
Cherries is a new one thank you. I agree some days, like today I chop or grate and another day larger size leaves etc. When there are chicks I cut up the florets of broccoli very fine and the hen seems very keen as they are in a hurry to nibble as quick as they can. I read somewhere that they also would enjoy carrot sticks dipped in condioning seed..I havent dont this yet. I can understand grated carrot but thought that a carrot stick would be too hard?

Just thought too..cucumber is another one. It is supposed to be a good one when they moult but Im unclear as to why.

Last edited: