• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brand new HH owner on Hawk Head trail

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Files did not attach.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He/she is a beautiful hawk-headed parrot. Are you hoping for one gender over the other?

Matt

charlielove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Hi Matt, I don't have a preference. It's just fun guessing lol. I think he's a boy personally. Breeder says girl. We'll find out soon :). I see you have a beautiful Blue Throat. I've wanted one for a few years, but I'm getting to my limit on birds. I have 4 and it's takes a lot of time making every one feel loved haha. I'll never be able to own one. I'm wondering I've heard fantastic things about them. Is it true? In fact, where I bought my HH they have a baby blue throat right now. He's super plumpy and soooo darn cute!

charlielove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Here Matt for you. As my fiancé titled it "macaw down" lol. He was just handfed. The minute she put him back in the brooder he plopped over backwards and fell asleep.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Awww love baby birds. Hope you have a long happy relationship together.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your HH is precious :xflove: Love the feets :joyful:

charlielove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Your HH is precious :xflove: Love the feets :joyful:
I know they're like half the size of his body, if not a tad bigger. lol. And his eyes, you can't tell by the pics but they're HUGE round eyes. I think it's abnormal but it adds to his cuteness.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'm wondering I've heard fantastic things about them. Is it true? In fact, where I bought my HH they have a baby blue throat right now. He's super plumpy and soooo darn cute!
They are beautiful birds, but very intelligent and mechanical birds. You need to keep them busy or they will will try to find something to do themselves.

Matt

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Awwww cute baby.

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
The eyes are normal :) They even as adults have a bit of a bare eyed look to them (like a bare eyed cockatoo i mean ;) ) Take lots of pics often as they will change SO MUCH in apperance as they age in that first year. They told us this when ours was a baby and i worried i was taking to many pics but now wish i had taken more. As there feathering and overall appearance changes as they mature. There still adorably cute but the coloring of there feathers will make them look different than they will for the first many months. :)

Also as babies, they have NO FEAR. so watch out, ours scared a huge baby scarlet macaw off its perch when our guy was only 3 months old. And ran off an aggressive adult cockatoo to boot. Neither were safe for the little guy but he was hard for the store to keep under control. They will want to go EVERYWHERE and try everything early on so be there safety net ;) And work hard at getting the rules established for them as they are babies for what they can expect as adults cause they can be stubborn intially.

Example: when our guy first came home, he managed to get on our floor briefly and when we got in his way to put him back where he was allowed. He pointed his head down at the floor like a battering ram and pushed as hard as he could into what was keeping him from his goal. Once he learned he couldn't get where he wanted then he accepted the rules. We didn't use any punishement just consistant rules, and he responded well and still accepts them today now that he is 6.5 years old. Though he still trys to pull a fast one every now an again just to see if he can ;)