• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boy or Girl?

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
About 7 weeks ago, I brought home a budgie that was found at work. No luck in finding his owner...after reading many threads and posts here...I decided to get him a friend. They are getting along well together and my found budgie named Benson is doing well with him/her. :)

The newest addition to my flock (now up to 8!) is a cute little blue budgie...named Blu - about 12 weeks old
So...do you think Blu is a little boy or girl? Mutation? I know very little about budgies...but sure enjoy having 2 of them!

P7303214.JPG

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm not sure but think boy. (but don't trust me)

And Congrats to a beautiful Blu! ♥

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Love the story! Blu is beautiful!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
A pic in better light would help. Looks more boy like bu the shadow could be deepening the cere.
Females can be a powder blue white color.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
So hard to get a pic of this little one! Cere is light purple...that pic was taken outside today. I had them outside in a cage placed on my patio table...thought natural light would be best...I am a terrible at taking pics...even with the camera set on "auto"...:rolleyes:

I looked to see if I could find one needing a home...but I wanted to get one "in quarantine" ASAP...I went to a pet store by me...private owner...not a chain store...asked the owner to show me what she thought were males...my nephew came with me and he picked out this cutie for me - hoping it is a boy but we will deal with the issues if this is a little girl...

Are there any other signs other than "cere color" to help with identifying if male or female? I know with tiels -you look for whistling, talking, etc and behavior...not sure what to look for in budgies!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The head bars low to front indicate young age. The bars will disappear as he ages. Cere can change color lightly with age too. Could be female because the color is so light.
Let's call in @PoukieBear

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Are there any other signs other than "cere color" to help with identifying if male or female? I know with tiels -you look for whistling, talking, etc and behavior...not sure what to look for in budgies!
This is probably the answer you don't want to have, but in budgies the female bites harder. A lot harder.
And that is true. I live neighbor to a very good budgie breeder, and that is how he can tell for sure if it's a female or not.
I first thought he was joking with me, but the one I picked he was correct with.
Oh, and they lay eggs too! Forgot that! :D

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This may help you:

click in image to enlarge 20368773_1319631978159293_4458768860089582278_o.jpg

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
The head bars low to front indicate young age. The bars will disappear as he ages. Cere can change color lightly with age too. Could be female because the color is so light.
Let's call in @PoukieBear
Here I am! :)

The pic isn't the greatest for determining gender, but from what I can see, it looks like you have a male. Maybe another pic or two would help out.

He does look pretty young as he does still have his baby bars on his forehead, he's less than 6 months old.

As for mutation, again it's hard to tell form the pic, but he looks like a regular blue budgie. Can you post some more pictures of his entire front and back?

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Thank you! Yes...very young - about 3 months old...I will try and get more pics...he/she is becoming very vocal - much of the same sounds as my other budgie (male).

Also...when I first put them together, I noticed the other budgie trying to feed him - is this normal?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Also...when I first put them together, I noticed the other budgie trying to feed him - is this normal?
Yes it is. I will say without knowing what the other one is that you probably have two boys.
Happy that they accepted each other, but budgies are so easy to put together. And that is also one of the reasons why you always should have them in pair.
They accept almost everyone because they love to be two and having a partner.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is part of the flock mentality, to feed the young ones. Its so cute to watch.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Looks male to me too, by the pic. Congrats, he's beautiful.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think he's a boy, too, and he is VERY cute.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
A photo with better lighting would help. My first impression was that you have a girl budgie, as the cere seems rather pale and chalky looking. Males usually have brighter ceres. But, it could be the lighting making the cere appear paler than it really is.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I did some Photoshop work on that pic, is the color correct now Cecilia?
P7303214b.JPG

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
The cere is light purple - lavender -lilac colored. Not chalky - very smooth looking. So hard to get a good pic - this one does not like the camera at all!