• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boy or Girl? Yellow Parrotlet

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi folks, I got Star a few months back and at the time I said GIRL but a couple of you said BOY.
The breeder had her in a cage with another parrotlet and after some time decided they were both girls, hence no babies. She is yellow, and has a bit of blue near her eye and definitely some near her tail. I don't know how much bluish is required to say she is a he? Can you post your photos if you have a yellow plet?

I don't have good pictures, as she is usually up as high as she can get. She does buzz me so I think landing on me is imminent, but she is nowhere near tame.

She and Skittles (boy) are sharing a flight but they merely tolerate one another. They bicker loudly and sleep as far apart as they can get.

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Sorry, I can't really help. But he/she is beautiful. Good luck with taming them!

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Ohhhh how beautiful! ❤

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
She looks female from that angle. Males generally have cobalt blue from their eye back, their lower back, and their wings. BUT! Females can also have blue by their eyes and lower back that is not cobalt blue and confuses a lot of people. The wings are never wrong! Cobalt blue in the wings means you have a boy. Females never have cobalt blue in their wings.

Also, you should really separate them if they don’t get along. Otherwise, you’re going to have missing toes or a dead bird.

4A18F5B7-5EF7-4EA2-9694-48DC3C47A24C.png

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Also, you should really separate them if they don’t get along. Otherwise, you’re going to have missing toes or a dead bird.
That's what I needed to see! Thank you so much, Graceful Wolf! Definitely a girl then.

They don't not get along, they simply don't like each other. Would you still separate them? The breeder said to watch closely and remove one at any sign of aggression. So far, they aren't aggressive.

Today they have moved themselves to separate flight cages. They're hilarious.

Lizardking

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Duane
That's what I needed to see! Thank you so much, Graceful Wolf! Definitely a girl then.

They don't not get along, they simply don't like each other. Would you still separate them? The breeder said to watch closely and remove one at any sign of aggression. So far, they aren't aggressive.

Today they have moved themselves to separate flight cages. They're hilarious.
Paco and Taco were "paired up" by the breeder and were alway's together and purchased as a pair . The older they got the less they got along ! They are "toe biters" and can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time . They have a reputation for being rather anti social . I am not saying they won't get along , merely suggesting you watch them closely . I ended up housing them in a large flight cage with a divider , and they are never alone unsupervised . Best of luck ! :)

100_6182.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Duane! They're so cute and snuggly! Yeah I know...it's hard tho when they act adorable. Like right now Star is sitting in a canary cage pretending to be a canary. Mine do not seem aggressive at all when having out-of-cage time. It makes me feel like they're not going to hurt anyone... or maybe that is a false sense of security.

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
They're usually easy going out of the cage and aggressive in their own cage. Protective of their own home understandably. Personally, I would still separate them, but its your choice. If you want to give them more time before you decide, then just keep a close eye on them. My view is that it only takes a minute to lose a toe. I have two males who I love to pieces. Luka wants to be best friends, but Milo hates Luka lol. So they get separate play times.