• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Bowser is starving

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I took out Bowser's water and food dish to clean and I *gasp left it in the kitchen for a minute when I walked back in the room. He looked at my empty hands and was so funny. He immediately went to the food bag and tried there for dinner first IMG_20170608_224549.jpg Whoops, mom filled that with some pieces of cork bark. IMG_20170608_222922220.jpg Definitely not food, but kinda fun. IMG_20170608_222953629.jpg Maybe if I act really adorable she'll get the hint... IMG_20170608_224656.jpg
This is where the food goes, but no bowl... IMG_20170608_224757.jpg
Maybe behind the curtains? IMG_20170608_224812.jpg

This whole dramatic ordeal lasted less than five mins lol. I went and got the food dish and gave him his nightly pellets and mash mix and he happily ate. And I'll never forget his bowl in the kitchen again lol. :)

(Also, he does always have a bowl.of pellets available. He just wanted his nightly mash mix)

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I also want to point out his beautiful tail that finally grew in! :) Daily showers and good food really do wonders.
Also, this is his transition cage. He still plays alot on the bottom (hence the toys hung at all levels and even some foot toys in there) and I slowly started expanding his perches on the outside of his cage. He gets more brave with each one. Eventually I want to move him to his indoor aviary/bird room. We're about half done with that...It got a little out of hand lol and my husband just finished putting up stainless steel bars on every wall and the ceiling of the room so he can climb and hang and never touch the actual drywall. It's turning into a bigger project than I planned but it's fun seeing it come together and knowing how much Bowser is going to enjoy it when it's done.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Bowser is an adorable "starving" baby.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I feel the pain.... and up you one. Bowser looks beautiful and sympathetic over the food. I have a LOUD Amazon here. Secret lets me know what time the red bell peppers are due in the cage at night.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@MiniMacaw
Bowser is finally looking like a wonderfully well, beautifully feathered young macaw. He looks so very, very great. You have done good with this baby. He had a horrible start, but it's all downhill from now on.

How long have you had him now?

Could you post a picture of him when you first got him and one of him today? It will give many people a look at what can be done with perseverance, proper food and good medical care. Of course, a goodly dose of love thrown in too.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Before and after photos seconded! You two have fought the battle and came through. Great to see!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thirded.....if that's a word. Before and after pictures!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Thanks everyone. Bowser's a special guy and I'm so glad he's thriving now. I picked him up on November 12 of last year so I've had him for 7/8 months.
Here's a pic the "breeder" had of him. I think it shows some of his neglect pretty well... IMG_20161103_171523034.jpg This shows some of his poor feather condition. IMG_20161116_130413.jpg
And here's a happier, healthier Bowser taken today after breakfast as I was just letting him out for his day of exploring (aka what trouble can I get into today) :) IMG_20170609_104510.jpg IMG_20170609_104352.jpg This is his give me scritches pose. :) IMG_20170609_104849.jpg and clearly I'll be taking these curtains down soon lol but it's the only pic I could get of his tail this am.

Attachments

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
A completely different bird. You have done a wonderful job and I'm proud of both you and Bowser.
Thank you. :) I think the most important thing, to anyone reading this that may find themselves in a similar situation, is to listen to ALL THE GOOD ADVICE you can get. I've learned so much for Bowser and from Bowser already.
And I know they feel the love when being cared for and that helps so much.

Rolanda

Oh WOW. I remember seeing that Pic... with the dent in his beak. How on earth could his 'breeder' think it's OKAY for a baby to be in this condition?
I am so glad you found him and have given him good food and lots of LOVE. Even in the BEFORE pic he looked like he was looking for someone to love him and YOU came along.:heart:
Such a LUCKY, albeit HUNGRY, BOY!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Oh WOW. I remember seeing that Pic... with the dent in his beak. How on earth could his 'breeder' think it's OKAY for a baby to be in this condition?
I am so glad you found him and have given him good food and lots of LOVE. Even in the BEFORE pic he looked like he was looking for someone to love him and YOU came along.:heart:
Such a LUCKY, albeit HUNGRY, BOY!
He certainly acts like he's sooo hungry when that dinner comes out. I've never seen a bird love warm mash over pellets so much. :)