• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bought a coconut

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Now what?????:o:confused:

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
You should see 2 or 3 small "eyes" on one end of the coconut. Take something sharp, stick it into the middle eye (or whichever one is the softest), and drain all of the liquid out. I then use a hammer and chisel to crack the shell and remove all of the coconut from inside. You can then clean and dry the shells out if you want for toy making purposes or even to make a feeder.

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I drain the milk by using an ice pick to poke a hole in 2 of the eyes at the end

then I bake it in a low 200 degree oven for about 20 minutes

then tap gently with a hammer to crack the outer shell and peel -

warming the coconut first helps to loosen the meat from the hard outer shell, you still have to peel the inner brown skin from the white coconut meat

save the milk - it is great for use in baking hooman or birdie things :D

it freezes well in a freezer bag if you want to save it for later as do the coconut pieces (freeze liquids and solids separately)

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Ok....wish me luck, I am going in:D
So, don't give it to them still attached to the shell I am guessing.....Let you know how it goes:)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
you'll do fine - there's no right or wrong way, some are just easier than others :lol:

and yep you can give them shell with the nut meat attached - just not tons at a time

and I like coconut too here, so they have to share with me when I buy one for them :o:

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
I didn't know that GG! :D Guessed I learned something new today lol. I once bought a natural coconut perch with a coconut half attached to the end of the perch so it is like a treat bowl and the birds love it! :D It keeps the mess in the cage, not near the sides of the cage! :dance4:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
my birdies love to play with the coconut shell - it is a good toy for them :thumbsup:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
When I was a kid, my step dad would use a power saw on it. Guess there was an easier way:hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.