• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bottled water for bird? Your thoughts on this, please.

Mike

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Have any of you seen the news that some ungodly amount of different brands of bottled water (93%?) contain minute particles of plastic?

I've given my birds only bottled water to drink and bathe in for years. I was always leery of chemicals like flouride in tap water and how it might affect birds.

Now what? I'm leaning towards tap water now. (sigh)

Your thoughts on this?

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I'm not crazy about using our tap water for the reasons you mentioned. I do use tap water that goes through a filter but I don't actually know if it is filtering out the fluoride or not. I had not heard of this bottled water and plastic problem, thanks for sharing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have always used tap water. My current city does not add fluoride to the water but the rest did I am sure. I am fortunate that my local water has always been quite clean.

The way I see it is, everything has a potential for contaminates. Bottled water is often not any better than tap water - in fact, Ice Mountain by Nestle is extracted from a river less than an hour from me, and I used to live just a few miles away from that river too for about a decade. I've drank that water a good potion of my life without ever buying a bottle!

Distilled water and reverse osmosis are the purest but I have heard conflicting information on drinking them long term. Reverse osmosis would be the safer of the two.

If the water is safe for you to drink, it is safe for the birds realistically.

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
We have Britta water pitcher to filter the water for the birds. Works fine and is a lot cheaper tan bottled water in the long run. Plus, you do not have drag home bottles from the store.

Mike

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I'm surprised there are so few people concerned about this. Look it up!

The odds are heavily in favor that if your bird drinks bottled water, he or she is ingesting plastic.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
We have Britta water pitcher to filter the water for the birds. Works fine and is a lot cheaper tan bottled water in the long run. Plus, you do not have drag home bottles from the store.
That's what we use not only for the birds but for the people and the coffee maker.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I use tap water, but the water here is very clean and no chemicals are added to it:) I don’t Know if those are available in America too, but in the Netherlands there are packages of water in thick cardboard like boxes. Not sure what Is on the inside, but I don’t think it is plastic.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t Know if those are available in America too, but in the Netherlands there are packages of water in thick cardboard like boxes. Not sure what Is on the inside, but I don’t think it is plastic.
These are probably tetrapaks and yes, there is plastic in them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mizzly, we must be neighbors.

I'm in Michigan :) They extract from a lot of sources! The one here in Michigan is in Evart and its a big political issue too because we make like no money while they make millions :/

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Water in Phoenix tends to have a high mineral content and it can fluctuate at various times of the year. More in late summer / fall and less in the winter / spring. I get it from the filter in the fridge. The birds like the cold water during the summer, and I add ice to it for them to play with.

Rob

Walking the driveway
I'm in Michigan :) They extract from a lot of sources! The one here in Michigan is in Evart and its a big political issue too because we make like no money while they make millions :/
Michigan here too. My sister moved out of state and said until she bought a filter she could taste all the extra stuff in her new states water.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I always hated the slimy feeling from the water softener when I lived in MN. It felt like I never rinsed the soap off me.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I've been buying Ice Mountain for years and I give it to Blu too, for drinking.

I was relieved that it wasn't included in the recall (even though it's a Nestle company as well) but my last purchase tasted different. It tastes, well kind of like Dasani:sick:. It tastes like either fake minerals have been added to it, or like slight bleach or something. I can't figure it out but it's different.

I gave Blu tap water yesterday and today and was planning on buying a Brita filter later today to use from now on, even though I'd prefer to keep buying bottled water that tastes like pure water.

I called the customer service number and asked what changed and the representative said that nothing has changed. So she took my information and they will conduct some research on where I got it from and send me a reimbursement. Now I'm not sure if I can trust Ice Mountain anymore, unfortunately. I really did love that water and I'm picky about my water.