• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bottle Brush Tree

Graeme

Strolling the yard
I have read that the Bottle Brush tree is safe for birds. We have plenty of them growing here at home and I would like to make perches from them.
I do have some questions though.....

1. Is the whole tree, wood, flower and seed safe?

2. Can I leave the bark on the perch?

3. I have read that it is best to soak them in a solution of water and vinegar for a few hours. I have also read that heating them up in the oven is a good idea and then leaving them in the sun for a day or two.
Has anyone put them into the microwave? I assume this would also kill all the nasties?

Any help you can provide would really be appreciated.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I rip off branches and feed them whole to the mad gang. Tree bark, flowers everything

They go mad for it

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
No on microwave. Wash the branch off. Sit out in the sun and let it weather a few days or more. The flowers are great and in fact that is when I cut the weepy branches which I rinse then stick right in the cage. The branches with leaves and flowers are then stuck through the bars of the bird cage and away they go chewing everything up and having the best time.

I have a playstand that has one of the standard dowels that goes across. i took that off and then put a branch of bottle brush across the bar. Hang it out longer than the stand. The part sticking out is where my Scarlet plays a lot either hanging by a toe or his beak. It is also the point he starts chewing the bark and branch. Yep, bottle brush is great stuff.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
Bottlebrush is fine to use. I scrub any branches, spray with F10 disinfectant and leave in the sun to dry. I also leave the bark on, it gives them better grip and also something to chew on :D

Graeme

Strolling the yard
Wow thanks for taking the time to reply.

Well I have been soaking them for a few hours in water and vinegar, I will just put them out in the sun for a couple of days.

It's great to know they can use all of it, because we have plenty of bottle brush trees, so they will get plenty to nibble on.

carwife

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary Ann Donaghy
I have a couple of bottle brush trees/shrubs. I have thought about using the branches for my little chicken. Now I know I can. Thanks for the info!