• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bornavirus + member

Regina4019

Moving in
Real Name
Regina Jankowski
My Lesser dropped weight and started vomiting last week. After two different hospitals and $2k, she tested positive for Bornavirus. She shows no swelling in her ultrasounds but inflammation in her blood tests. Metacam is working well and she’s improving rapidly.
I’m scared and need guidance. I have three other birds, U2, WBC, and Senegal.

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your flock.

Your lesser reminds me of my Cassie, my :heart: bird.

I know very little about Bornavirus, so I really can't say much about it. Hopefully other Roadies with experience will be along shortly to share some info with you.

I do understand your fear...but you've joined a great forum here...we care...:hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You need to take a breath and read all you can before making more decisions. ABV is not PDD and a biopsy of the crop will not identify ABV. It would identify PDD only if they actually got a sample of a lesion which is rare to do even in PDD cases. Celebrex is the medication you want if you are aiming to treat ABV symptoms, not metacam.

I would put your sweetie on Celebrex but continue to search for other answers. Cbc, Chem panel, xrays, fecal samples. Don't be afraid to re run these tests. My guy had avian gastric yeast and the vets thought he had PDD. It was only found in our 4th crop swab. (Not biopsy)

Did you know that they believe more than 40% of companion birds will test positive for ABV? Many live their whole lives with it and only come up positive when the virus is shedding.

Take a breath and calm down. You can only do one day at a time so only think one day at a time.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm also going to mention half of this thread is on FB. If it seems incomplete. ;)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.
I am sorry I can’t offer any advice but you have come to the right place for help and support.
Hang in there.
:bighug:

Regina4019

Moving in
Real Name
Regina Jankowski
I caught it quickly and the Metacam has shown fast improvement. Her vet retired in the fall and has been in constant contact for the last week. He’s published papers on Bornavirus and PDD. He feels she’s a strong candidate for long term survival and/or remission.
I believe we can’t always lump it all under PDD, but there are other variations. I suffer from PTSD and lost my other lesser, my soulmate, 2.5 years ago to a swollen ventricle in her heart. Willow got me through that, an abusive ex, and a fire on 3/1/18 that cost us our cat and ALL of our belongings. She’s my rock. She’s my mate. She is incredibly strong and amazing. I’m her third home that we know of. I need support to get through this.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Welcome to the forum...Celebrex is good stuff and helps calm the stomach issues and it is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory. I have it on hand for pain issues for others as well when needed.

Dr. Orosz is one of the vets behind many of the studies. She asked me the other day how we could let more people know it isn't the scary thing everyone feels it is..Avian Bornavirus and Proventricular Dilatation Disease: Facts, Questions, and Controversies | LafeberVet

A good diet, proper cleaning habits (for your others) and continued vetting means your baby could indeed live a long life.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Welcome to AA Regina. As Sarah said, try to just breathe at this point. I think you are moving in the right direction and it's great that you caught it early. More people with info will appear as the day goes on!

Regina4019

Moving in
Real Name
Regina Jankowski
They have had a HEPA filter running constantly for years. Only break was a few days due to fire. I clean grates with baby wipes so one cage is not cleaned, then another. Paper is cleaned daily.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Also, ABV doesn't live very long outside the host. I have a friend who had caique pair...male was positive, female was not...close to 10 years later.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Also, ABV doesn't live very long outside the host. I have a friend who had caique pair...male was positive, female was not...close to 10 years later.

Did you know... many vets require a ABV test for boarding. If they test positive you can not board. HOWEVER, you are allowed to retest down the road and if that same bird tests negative they allow boarding.

????? That really tells me that they know so little about ABV even after all these years.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How are you doing?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How has her weight been? I would ask your vet about adding prozyme to her meals.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Welcome to the Avenue! Lovely Too and please listen to Sarah she's right. Hope that your bird will be okay. ;)