• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boo's Collar Experience

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Aubrey She's just so pitiful!

When Termie was a baby, I had to split antibiotic duty with my ex (his former owner) so he wouldn't dislike only one of us. Didn't change the outcome at all! The little monster has adored me practically his entire life. :)

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn

When Termie was a baby, I had to split antibiotic duty with my ex (his former owner) so he wouldn't dislike only one of us. Didn't change the outcome at all! The little monster has adored me practically his entire life. :)
Well you are the lovie whisperer ;)

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

I haven't had to give Luna meds before (holy moly I don't even want to think about how much drama that would be), but clipping her nails is her least favourite thing. It's so distressing for her, being wrapped up a little in a scarf, and she struggles and screams as though the world is ending the whole time. The moment I let her go, she's makes a beeline for my neck to snuggle and be consoled. Breaks my damn heart.

Well, these guys seem to like me, at any rate. :) I wish I had magical lovie powers - like the ability to speak to them somehow so I could explain about medicine and such!
Magic lovie powers sounds amazing. "Really truly, bird, the raspberry is not going to kill you."

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't had to give Luna meds before (holy moly I don't even want to think about how much drama that would be), but clipping her nails is her least favourite thing. It's so distressing for her, being wrapped up a little in a scarf, and she struggles and screams as though the world is ending the whole time. The moment I let her go, she's makes a beeline for my neck to snuggle and be consoled. Breaks my damn heart.
That's why I have someone else trim their nails! Too harrowing to think of that x6 (now x8)! Oh yes, medicine is such epic drama. It's very hard to be responsible for their distress, necessary or not. It's a good thing Miss Luna doesn't see you as being blameworthy for the evil trimming!

Magic lovie powers sounds amazing. "Really truly, bird, the raspberry is not going to kill you."
LOL!! The food conversations we would have! We'd definitely have some hot topics there. I'd talk about the berry hatred & discarding of greens as well, plus how they need to eat their pellets and give sprouts a chance! :p

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Adoration of the whisperer ..... Like I said :hehe:

And I agree. I can't handle being the bad guy with nail trims either :( my vet suggested I desensitize Leto to the towel. Whenever he sees one he wants to beat the snot out of it :wideyed: Even if it's on my head :lol:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Aubrey OH BOY, I can imagine how well it works out to have the hated towel on your head! :p

While all birds are quite attentive and observant, I'm convinced that lovebirds are particularly sensitive to how they are approached. Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel certain that they somehow pick up on the fact that I accept and love them whether they bite me or like me or not. I habitually kiss and tuck even lovies I've just met against my face and neck (as long as they're not afraid). I'm not afraid of being bitten, though of course I try to avoid having them feel they need to bite and making any associations with biting being something they should do!

I'm thinking that being the crazy and very single lovebird lady is my future, lol. The people I've dated just don't seem to get how important these fluffs are to me. I'm getting too old (and am already far too imperfect) to find love anyway!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Aubrey OH BOY, I can imagine how well it works out to have the hated towel on your head! :p

While all birds are quite attentive and observant, I'm convinced that lovebirds are particularly sensitive to how they are approached. Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel certain that they somehow pick up on the fact that I accept and love them whether they bite me or like me or not. I habitually kiss and tuck even lovies I've just met against my face and neck (as long as they're not afraid). I'm not afraid of being bitten, though of course I try to avoid having them feel they need to bite and making any associations with biting being something they should do!

I'm thinking that being the crazy and very single lovebird lady is my future, lol. The people I've dated just don't seem to get how important these fluffs are to me. I'm getting too old (and am already far too imperfect) to find love anyway!
Don't say that :angry101: you're perfect in your Lovie's eyes :swoon:

And never say never :loveshower:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't say that :angry101: you're perfect in your Lovie's eyes :swoon:

And never say never :loveshower:
Uh huh, exactly - in the eyes of my lovies, not people! :laughing2: If I had to choose between never having lovies or never having a partner, though, I'd choose never having a partner! It may be a moot point at any rate as I'm a smart (and apparently odd) lesbian living on the coast of Nearly Nowhere who doesn't look like Barbie AND has geeky hobbies! Oh, and let's not forget that I'm "caretaker of the swarm"! I'm doomed. :D

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Uh huh, exactly - in the eyes of my lovies, not people! :laughing2: If I had to choose between never having lovies or never having a partner, though, I'd choose never having a partner! It may be a moot point at any rate as I'm a smart (and apparently odd) lesbian living on the coast of Nearly Nowhere who doesn't look like Barbie AND has geeky hobbies! Oh, and let's not forget that I'm "caretaker of the swarm"! I'm doomed. :D
But you sure do have a great sense of humor. If I was a lesbian, I'd date you :)

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I truly feel for you @fluffypoptarts I can't even imagine what you are having to deal with right now. I have to give Gracie 0.012 a day right now and she is hating it with a passion. This morning she spit it right back up and had me so worried. I am hoping tomorrow after her follow-up it will be the last day for her.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I truly feel for you @fluffypoptarts I can't even imagine what you are having to deal with right now. I have to give Gracie 0.012 a day right now and she is hating it with a passion. This morning she spit it right back up and had me so worried. I am hoping tomorrow after her follow-up it will be the last day for her.
Boo is definitely the worst I've encountered when I had to give meds, and at the highest frequency, too. It's tough. Very stressful because it's so important.

Poor Gracie - she probably feels too old for this! I hope everything is okay when she does her follow-up.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
That's what I am thinking. She goes over and sits on my lunch pail which has become her nesting spot and naps after I wash her face because she gets it all over her face the poor thing. It really makes me sad but I want her to get better and I am hoping this morning they will tell me I can stop.

ow is Boo doing with her collar? is she doing any better or is she still fighting with everything?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@metalstitcher I have to chase Boo all over my body in any attempt to clean sticky face! And yes, she's fighting every minute and look absolutely pathetic while doing it! When I put her back, she sits on her perch with the air of a girl who just had the cherished dress she's wearing totally trashed. The whole, "You've ruined my life!" bit. Poor little girl. :(

She'll have to go back soon to see if everything is good. I'm hoping, because I don't know if not. Maybe I'd have to keep her in the birdy hospital for a week to resolve, but I hope not.

I hope Gracie can stop taking her meds soon, too!

When they get the hang of it, they get very good at giving you a hard time with everything! Twinkie got to the point of locking his little beak closed, but I think Boo is a born rebel - she tries to let it dribble out the sides of her beak, push the syringe away with her tongue, etc.

Last edited:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Sorry boo bear is still being a bear about meds. You said 8 birdies...did i miss something?