• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boo's Collar Experience

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Try this.
Porter used to get really dry, itchy and then hormonal at the same time; he'd pluck his wing feathers.

I made him a fleece sweater; that covered the affected area and kept him in it pretty much 24-7. When he wasn't it in... I misted him with aloe juice directly on the itchy parts.

You get fresh aloe juice, cut it 1/4 part to 3/4 parts water.. and it helps sooth the wounds, and is safe to use on mutilation.

The sweater looked like this..

I called it his Lion Vest. ;3
Soft fabric to distract from the spot on his back I was protecting... and a ruffle that he would obsessively preen.

@fluffypoptarts
I can make one for you if you like.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Porter Thank you so much for the information and the offer! I may take you up on that if her current setup doesn't work out. She's such a stubborn little thing.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This morning it took 20 minutes to get both medicines into drama bird (the goo on the rump is the easy part - I get her when she's hiding her face in my hand or arm). She didn't bother trying to pinch, just squiggled all over the place and tried to keep her head down. She's very good at that! Well, 12.5 days of medicine fun to go! Not sure they gave me enough of the antibiotic - it's definitely less than the other and seems quite low. Hmm.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Sometimes you have to take your little Victories when you can. YAY for Rump Goo!:cheer::hehepink:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So do we call her DB until she is through all this. I feel for you because I had to give my English Budgie ampho. via syringe for 30 days and he was so traumatized. I guess we should take baby birds and give them water drops via syringe until they are used to it and do it as if it were a game.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Only thing is, they never want to play along! :p

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
So sorry Boo is having a rough time. I know how hard it is when you have a picker. BoBo picks all the time and trying to find ways to get him to stop has been going on for 16 years and I still have a hard time trying to find ways to distract him from it. I hope the medicine helps and the shot will help her calm down.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm going to have to fix her collar tonight (somehow...squiggle bird will make it hell). She has worn it down enough to get to her rump. She has also started picking at the feathers on her wings and legs. :(

Getting medicine into her is a nightmare. She absolutely hates it and fights me worse than Twinkie ever has. She won't even come out of her cage willingly anymore (this bird used to be chomping at the bit to be let out). Last night and this morning, I literally had to pry her little feet off of her perch (she clenched and ducked down to make it as challenging as possible). Once the medicine is done, she still loves to cuddle with me, but she's no longer happy to come out and I get no kisses. :(

Heather F

I'm going to have to fix her collar tonight (somehow...squiggle bird will make it hell). She has worn it down enough to get to her rump. She has also started picking at the feathers on her wings and legs. :(

Getting medicine into her is a nightmare. She absolutely hates it and fights me worse than Twinkie ever has. She won't even come out of her cage willingly anymore (this bird used to be chomping at the bit to be let out). Last night and this morning, I literally had to pry her little feet off of her perch (she clenched and ducked down to make it as challenging as possible). Once the medicine is done, she still loves to cuddle with me, but she's no longer happy to come out and I get no kisses. :(
Awww poor grumpy baby. :( She'll forgive you in time. It's so hard when they don't understand that it's for their own good--all they know is that something scary and uncomfortable is happening.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww poor grumpy baby. :( She'll forgive you in time. It's so hard when they don't understand that it's for their own good--all they know is that something scary and uncomfortable is happening.
I know, she doesn't understand why I'm suddenly torturing her. :( It's really sad. Her little chest starts heaving as soon as I try to offer her the oral syringe. I try to soothe her as much as possible with kisses on her head & telling her what a good baby she is in my sweetest voice. Then she gets uninterrupted snuggle time. We have a week left of this, so I can't imagine.

She got the collar off, so I did another one last night. Of course she got her beak on it immediately. Just hoping it blocks & distracts her for a day or two.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought the level in the bottle of antibiotics wouldn't be enough, and today it really looked like I'd only get one more dose. I took a picture and sent it to the vet and they told me to come back for more. An hour round-trip - yay! But it had to be done. Can't wait until drama bird is done. She didn't dash back to her cage today and offered me a quiet kiss from my shirt, so I have hope that I'm not completely off the love list yet! Lol. Poor thing.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Poor Boo'll forgive you - you're her person after all! :heart2: How much longer does she have to be on medication ?

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad you're still on the love list :xflove:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was worried about Leto hating me after giving him antibiotics twice daily for a week, but he got over it quickly.

I totally feel your concern, but I'm sure Boo's love and affection will override her grudge :xflove: