• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Book recommendations?

Charise Branco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charise Branco
So far I taught my little green cheek Paco how to spin and shake hands via positive reward and clicker but I'm looking to further his training. Anyone know of any good books for bird tricks and training?

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I don't know of any good books, but there's an online source that can send training tips right to your email called BirdTricks.com or something like that. The guy does informational videos and his website is an awesome tool!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There are many on the market.

Explore Barbara Heidenreich's website. She's awesome and I'm sure there's a wealth of info there.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry, but I do not recommend Bird Tricks. They are ameteur trainers who are in it for the money. Not to say that they don't enjoy helping people out, it's just that they are businessmen first and trainers last. I do hope that they continue to learn and expand their knowledge, but right now, I wouldn't recommend them.

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I have Melinda Johnson's book, Clicker Training for Birds, which does list some tricks in it! (Kindle edition is $10)

Getting Started: Clicker Training for Birds: Melinda Johnson: 9781890948153: Amazon.com: Books

I don't have any other books on clicker training, although I would recommend anything by the authors I posted above, and Ann Castro. Forgot about her! I have not read her books, but I think I would trust her advice, too! What videos I saw from her were fabulous!

For inspiration, you can check out Fargo's videos! ;) I *love* his story and how he and his owner overcame so much! I think Fargo's mum is 20? I don't think older than 21? Although I could be mistaken, I know she is quite young, Fargo is her second parrot, first being a cockatiel, and everyone told her not to get a macaw! She was hell-bent on a *male* macaw, and he was the only one available! The breeder didn't even want to sell Fargo to her, because he had already been bought twice, and returned twice! The breeder was planning on turning him into a breeding bird due to his "poor behavior", but instead, he became famous! Against all odds, the two made it! And he's one lucky bird! (or maybe it's because she is also a horse owner?) Just, $5k is a lot to put down for a "not so friendly" bird!

Fargo the Macaw - Videos | Facebook

Charise Branco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charise Branco
Thank you! I decided to get that clicker training book you recommended Monica, found it for 5 bucks on ebay and I'll be sure to check out the Fargo videos.