• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonsai Tree?

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
Hey everyone, I've been trying to figure out if a bonsai tree would be okay to put in the bird room. Every list I have read for safe vs. not safe plants, has not listed a bonsai tree on either side. Does anyone know if a bonsai tree is bird safe? I really want to get one, but holding off until I'm sure it won't be harmful.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Bonsai is just a style of growing trees. Depends on what the tree is, to determine if it's safe for the birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depending on the Bonsai most of them do better outside. I was told this by a few Bonsai experts. If you are getting one consider getting a Juniper, Olive or Chinese Elm. They are generally easier to grow. Black Pine....difficult.

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
Thanks for the info. :) I'm very interested in getting a bonsai tree. I'm currently reading about the different types. I have 3 different bird safe plants in the bird room right now. Just wanted to add a few more and I always liked the look of those little bonsai trees. I do like the Chinese Elm. Was just viewing that. :)

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Quality bonsai trees are very expensive. Not something I'd want to risk being destroyed by curious beaks :p

If you want something tree-like, I believe quite a few of the dracaenas and figs are parrot safe :)

Last edited:

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
I will look into those plants for sure. You would think conures would like to chew on the plants, but my 3 couldn't care less about the plants in the room. They're more interested in their stand and treats. XD So I'm not too worried about them with plants. Especially since they're supervised while out of their cages. I'm sure other peeps will find this helpful though, since many birds can be quite destructive with pretty much anything. :)
Thanks for the info.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Younger Bonsai are not as expensive as older ones. You can get pre-Bonsai plants and train your own Bonsai tree.

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
I went to the store and saw so many of them and they're all so cute. I'm thinking I'll be going with the Chinese Elm. Still reading about bonsai because I like to know about a living thing before I just go out and get it. Thanks everyone for the info. :)

Arpsk

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Abdullah
I went to the store and saw so many of them and they're all so cute. I'm thinking I'll be going with the Chinese Elm. Still reading about bonsai because I like to know about a living thing before I just go out and get it. Thanks everyone for the info. :)
Hello ! I’m know I’m late to ask this but what was the answer is it toxic or not because I want to grow a mini bonsai tree and I have a conure in my room, so would it be safe ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hello ! I’m know I’m late to ask this but what was the answer is it toxic or not because I want to grow a mini bonsai tree and I have a conure in my room, so would it be safe ?
It will depend on the type of tree you choose to bonsai. Best to keep birds away from the dirt our plants grow in anyway so probably safer to just offer them fresh foliage and grow whichever tree you want to bonsai outdoors.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Elm is a good choice. I like. Juniper for a windswept. I have a few, I bought mine for about $25 each and bonsai’d them myself. Most are desert rose, and one is a ficus. I have killed a cherry, a juniper and a Fukien tea.

Reactions: tka

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A Bonsai expert/master I know told me that if you want to grow Bonsai it's best that the plants be outdoors rather than indoors.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Elm is safe for birds. Not sure about Chinese elm, you should probably use the botanical name to search for it.