• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bone soup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I was told to give Ella chicken bones so she can get the marrow out of them to help with her feathering. She won't touch them. So I'm considering extracting the marrow for her or making bone soup and using this broth when I make her cooked foods. this will give her extra protein and calcium. anybody have any information or thoughts on this

excerpts

Everybody knows that soup is the cure for when you are down. It is warm, easy to digest, and you can fill it with lots of immune boosting herbs and spices. Making soup with bone marrow stock is more than a mood cure; it enhances your immune system and provides you with easy to assimilate minerals. The marrow inside the bones contains nutrients that feed your bone marrow. When your bone marrow is nourished, you create healthier immune cells and can better fight off colds and flu.

Bone marrow soup stock is not only a great winter food, but is one of the best traditional foods for recuperation and rejuvenation. If you have just had a baby, drink two cups of bone marrow broth a day for several months. It is also a very beneficial food for recovery from illness, surgery, and fatigue.

When you add an acidic ingredient to your stock, it helps to leech the minerals from the bones, which is why most bone marrow soup recipes include wine, vinegar or lemon juice.

The following recipe is for a medicinal chicken bone marrow soup filled with herbs. This recipe can be made using any bones as long as they are organic. I make soup stock with lamb bones, chicken bones, or turkey carcass. When making your soup stock, I recommend making a double batch so you can freeze some to have on hand for the next soup you make.

Bone Marrow Soup Stock
1 whole organic chicken carcass (with some of the meat left on it) OR 3 raw chicken legs and thighs
12 cups water
1 entire bulb of garlic
5 sticks astragalus anybody know what is this?
3 medium slices of fresh ginger
3 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
2 tablespoons fresh or dried thyme
Juice of 2 lemons

Healing Soup

Some excerpts

"Bone Soup" - Although this is a Soup- this was also considered a healing potion many many years ago. Today it is still considered a healing meal in holistic medicine.

Bone Soup has always had a history of being healing and helpful to the body

Many cultures utilize bone marrow as a food.
"The Vietnamese prize bone as the soup base for their national staple phở; Alaskan Natives eat the bone marrow of caribou and moose; Indians use slow-cooked marrow as the core ingredient of the Indian dish Nalli Nihari; Mexicans use beef bone marrow from leg bones, called tuetano, which is cooked and served as filling for tacos or tostadas; it is also considered to be the highlight of the Italian dish ossobuco (braised veal shanks). Though once used in various preparations, including pemmican, bone marrow for human consumption in the United States has recently fallen out of favor as a food. In the Philippines, the soup "Bulalo" is made primarily of beef stock and marrow bones, seasoned with choice vegetables and boiled meat."

Bone Soup

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Here is a link on astragelus

Astragalus

Here's what I would do. When you cook chicken, either a whole one or pieces, after it's cooked I would take the thigh and leg bones, split them with good large knife and then put them in the pot with the carcass. That way your getting the maximum amount of marrow.

Ginger

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Interesting......I think I will try this......will Turkey work instead of Chicken? (Easter Turkey coming up soon) Girls might enjoy it......can I give Penny and Pru (IRN) bones?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Turkey will work. Elise, I forgot to say if you split your bones, make sure you strain the broth so there are no splinters.

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Also I don't know if I would put Astraglus in it. Maybe someone here has experience, but I never put herbs in anything that I don't know about first hand.

And if your going to use lemon, wait till at the end, start with half a lemon and taste. Too much lemon will ruin the soup.

Ginger

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Thanks suncoast. I will try this minus the astralogus and I will be cutting this down so I won't need 12 cups of water and 2 whole lemons, just a little of this and a little of that. I'll be sure to strain it

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I also would leave out the Astraglus....and I would strain the stock and put into refg...... once cold the fat will be on top and REMOVE the fat....Yes you can use this in making your rice/Quinoa and birdy breads....but to get to the bones as you are wanting to do, you have have to strip the meat off the bones BEFORE you cook this and use a cliver to cut the bones LENGTH wise...not across...this might be more trouble than you are wanting...:hug8:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I remember back in Korea during my early childhood, beef bone soup has always been quite common as it provides protein and calcium with minimal fat content. I'm not too sure how birds would take on to cow bones, but I know that bone soup is very healthy and especially beneficial to children and the elderly.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Bone soup is huge in Chinese medicine. Chinese people have bone soup daily, with different ingredients depending on time, season, and of course just what's convenient. It has been said to stave off osteoporosis, etc.

Not only does the soup provide Calcium and the other exact nutrients that are needed in bone building and maintenance (because it's bone), but if it is also cooked with the tendon and ligament, then the tendon has healing properties as well. Very tonifying for joint issues, internal dryness, as well as female issues, especially around menstruation and menopause, etc. Bone also contains the source of red blood cells, and so can support female issues as well as blood deficient related disorders.

In addition to those properties, bone is seen as a manifestation of the kidney, which provides the basis of the body's wellness. Because of this more esoteric property of bone, consuming bone soup is believed to support the entire body in its most essential manner--that of providing support for Kidney Jing.

I don't know about giving this to birds, though. How is that going, or, as the original post was back from a while ago, how did that go?

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Well, I think everything I did for her helped. I tried bone soup. I froze it like chicken stock after straining and kept some in the freezer for cooking. I don't know if any one thing helped, but cumulatively everything helped because she has regrown most all of her feathers -- wing feathers and tail feathers mostly and some body feathers too but still bare areas on chest where the mutilation was. She is so much healthier looking.

Diana I want to say thank you for that helpful information about the great benefits of bone soup. I guess I will continue to use it and I guess I should have some too.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I've never heard of such a thing... LOL! It sounds sorta weird, if it will help her then go for it. :):D

Kathy N

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Kind of off topic, we had chicken for Thanksgiving and I got up from the dinner table to bring Elwood a little bit of chicken. There was an audible gasp from my assembled guests and then a silence descended as they all stared at me in horror. :hehe:

Barb E

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I make stock all the time and use it to cook the brown rice for my macaws. They love it.
I also give them bones but please don't tell my vet because she doesn't agree with that.

I also freeze the stock in icecube trays and add a cube to the veggie stew I feed my birds.
My Meyers is strictly vegetarian so I leave it out of his.

Maybe your bird doesn't like meat??? You can try giving Missing Link it has the Omega Fatty Acids that help the feathers.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Kind of off topic, we had chicken for Thanksgiving and I got up from the dinner table to bring Elwood a little bit of chicken. There was an audible gasp from my assembled guests and then a silence descended as they all stared at me in horror. :hehe:
I love giving my birds chicken. It amuses me. Although, parrots and chickens are so far related that it's almost akin to us eating beef. I was at the huge Bird Park in Singapore recently, and what do they feed their birds of prey? That's right--chicken.

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
i think my birds would look at me like im insane if i tried giving them soup lol! i always thought giving the birds chicken and turkey was weird lol xD do parrots eat other birds in the wild? :eek: im glad ellas feathers are better! what all did you try to get her feathers to grow back? mikko plucks and not many are growing back :(

Status
Not open for further replies.