• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonding

ornithophile18

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Honey
I have a small request from y'all. Can u budgie owners tell me your stories of how you bonded with your budgies and how long did it take? How did they finally decide to come and sit on your hands and shoulders? Thank you! <3

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I was pretty lucky as my little girl Sam tamed in about 2weeks. She was the little feisty acrobat at the breeders and was 6 weeks when I brought her home. Talked to her gently and slowly brought my hands up and she nibbled at my nose through the cage bars. She was itching to get out and fly though ..no fear in her at all. I let her out in a spare room after 2weeks. She flew right to my shoulder. Had the run of the house after 4 weeks and now at 5 months talks and is a flying acrobat. This is the quickest I have ever tamed a budgie but that was her feisty personality from the beginning.

ornithophile18

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Honey
I was pretty lucky as my little girl Sam tamed in about 2weeks. She was the little feisty acrobat at the breeders and was 6 weeks when I brought her home. Talked to her gently and slowly brought my hands up and she nibbled at my nose through the cage bars. She was itching to get out and fly though ..no fear in her at all. I let her out in a spare room after 2weeks. She flew right to my shoulder. Had the run of the house after 4 weeks and now at 5 months talks and is a flying acrobat. This is the quickest I have ever tamed a budgie but that was her feisty personality from the beginning.
I see. That's adorablee :hug8::heart:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I hang out with my birds when they are out. Wherever they perch I join them, and spend a lot of time there. I'll eat fruit with them, I'll offer millet while (secretly) eating nuts. Sneaking into a flock is relatively easy, if you have the time.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I was also lucky with little Flynn. He was 8 weeks when I bought him home. I gave him 4-5days before I started offering him to come out of his cage to give him time to settle and just talked gently to him which he liked. I started opening his cage door and he didn't venture out for a whole week! I thought he never would. He finally did explore, and I offered millet from my hand. The second time he came out, he ate millet from my hand and that was it= tame friendly budgie. It was like one extreme to another in a day!

ornithophile18

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Honey
I hang out with my birds when they are out. Wherever they perch I join them, and spend a lot of time there. I'll eat fruit with them, I'll offer millet while (secretly) eating nuts. Sneaking into a flock is relatively easy, if you have the time.
An interesting approach.. I'm gonna try this with Chibi as well!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I always say bonding with any bird is something you gradually earn. They slowly begin to trust you. Don't think being hand fed or not makes any difference. Each bird will set the pace. For a store bought bird I really think bonding is a slower process because they have had little exposure to humans, except those that walk by and look at them.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have a small request from y'all. Can u budgie owners tell me your stories of how you bonded with your budgies and how long did it take? How did they finally decide to come and sit on your hands and shoulders? Thank you! <3
Twinky didn't take long, she was bonded to me within a few days. If course she was hand raised right from egg. So she was a cuddle bunny, a surrendered bird. I took in and now lives happily with daughter whom is a parrot lover as well.
IMG_2546.JPG