• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonding?

Kiwilover3802

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Keera
I have had a budgie for about a year now (I got him in June as a graduation present) He was pretty shy at first, but he warmed up to me. He would do everything with me, but then he got sick in July and everything went down hill. He had a respiratory problem so I had to give him medicine for 10 days. He got better, but never fully. He still breaths heavily sometimes, but other than that he's fine. He also doesn't have his flight wings clipped. Anyways, ever since I had to give him meds he hasn't really liked me. I try to take him out everyday, I feed him in my hand, I let him fly around the room, I give him treats, but nothing works. He does trust me, he'll sit on me, and fly to my finger if he knows I have something, but other than that he'd rather just not be around me. He doesn't sit on my shoulder anymore, or my finger unless I have treats. What should I do? I've seen budgies chirp at their owners, be pet by them, and get happy whenever they enter the room. But not mine :( I feel like I messed something up between us. What should I do?

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I'm so sorry to hear all of that. My budgie Jersey got a respiratory infection in October, and she lost all trust for me too. It's completely normal for something like an illness to make your budgie not want your company - especially if you had to feed it medicine. I would suggest getting or building a PVC play stand kind of thing and letting him be around you and giving him ambient attention. Eventually he'll grow used to the habit of sitting near you and will want to do it a lot, and he'll want to be around you regularly again. Make sure to put the PVC stand near where you spend most of your time! Good luck!

Kiwilover3802

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Keera
I'm so sorry to hear all of that. My budgie Jersey got a respiratory infection in October, and she lost all trust for me too. It's completely normal for something like an illness to make your budgie not want your company - especially if you had to feed it medicine. I would suggest getting or building a PVC play stand kind of thing and letting him be around you and giving him ambient attention. Eventually he'll grow used to the habit of sitting near you and will want to do it a lot, and he'll want to be around you regularly again. Make sure to put the PVC stand near where you spend most of your time! Good luck!
Thank you, I will try that! Does anyone else have any tips for me?

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Try sharing some meals. When I had a budgies they always wanted to share food. A bowl of brown rice with peas and corn always hit the spot. Good luck.:hug8:

Kiwilover3802

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Keera
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a Budgie used to new foods? He loves spinach, but he wont eat anything else (besides his food and millet) Does anyone have any tricks on getting him to try new things? I just want to see what else I can get him to eat so I can use @Greencheek Lee idea and share meals with him.