• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bonded with toy

cheshaneko

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

I recently got a rescue Cockatiel. Buddy is estimated 15 years old.

There is a toy Buddy is full on bonded too. I'm pretty sure he was humping it today.
Usually I wouldn't care in the slightest about something that brings the bird joy. However it is a string covered toy with a bell on the end. The string is very frayed and I know that can pose a health risk. SO I want to take it out....

I've been working on moving it around the cage and have been putting it in the least accessible places I can find to "ween" Buddy off the toy.
He screams bloody murder when I take it out to clean :dead: He does calm down as I clean.

I don't want to stress him out too much as it's only been about a week since we took him home.

Suggestions?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:
could you maybe get him one same or similar to replace it so fray not a problem

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Just remove the toy and replace it with something else similar but string free.
Birds learn how to adapt. There is always a chance he might exhibit unusual behavior for a short period of time. If you experience issue just DM me and I’ll handle it for you.

The current toy has strings and is frayed… strings are dangerous because a bird can get tangled and literally stroke out in a frenzy to get free.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My youngest lovebird was very friendly with a toy he had as a clutch buddy when he was weaning, it was a little stuffed blue whale. He would mate it and feed it, and it got disgusting. Even washing it often was difficult. I replaced it with a small dog kong in a blue colour, and he instantly accepted it.

I had another male who was very intimate with his boing, but another bird would pick at it and fray those threads, so I made him a boing by hand that couldn't be frayed and he also accepted it instantly.

So when looking for a substitute, look for similar length, size, colour as best you can but it doesn't have to be exact. It is probably best not to buy the exact same toy if it is something that cn end up getting frayed or you will be in a cycle of buying a crappy toy.

If you would like some help, post a pic of the toy and folks here can help have a look around for some substitutes :)

cheshaneko

Checking out the neighborhood
My youngest lovebird was very friendly with a toy he had as a clutch buddy when he was weaning, it was a little stuffed blue whale. He would mate it and feed it, and it got disgusting. Even washing it often was difficult. I replaced it with a small dog kong in a blue colour, and he instantly accepted it.

I had another male who was very intimate with his boing, but another bird would pick at it and fray those threads, so I made him a boing by hand that couldn't be frayed and he also accepted it instantly.

So when looking for a substitute, look for similar length, size, colour as best you can but it doesn't have to be exact. It is probably best not to buy the exact same toy if it is something that cn end up getting frayed or you will be in a cycle of buying a crappy toy.

If you would like some help, post a pic of the toy and folks here can help have a look around for some substitutes :)
Thank for the advice so far. Here's a picture of the culprit.
Another thing to consider: At the moment this is the only thing I can use to get him in and out of the cage. He's still hand shy and won't accept treats. I don't think he knows what treats are, he's been on a sunflower heavy diet for a long time, which we're slowly changing.
We've only had him three weeks now and he's already so much happier. I want to give him the best I can give. :)
(I've got a new cage coming too)

432305161_302411649266931_5674987042405872034_n.jpg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ya that needs to go . Find something the same size , hopefully he will accept.

Normally with new birds and their stress relief buddy I say let it be , but this is a dangerous disaster