• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Body position

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Can anyone help me understand this. Usually Lada (Female red sided Eclectus) stands up right like we picture most parrots doing. Recently though she sometimes will transition to a horizontal position. Now lately she has been getting her flight feathers back in and sometimes she will assume this horizontal position but will go a little further by tilting forward even more and ever so slightly (but hesitating) moving her wings out from body. CLEARLY this beyond horizontal position with the wing behavior is her contemplating attempting flight but hesitating. I wanted to highlight this so you don't confuse it with the intermediate position I am actually talking about. The intermediate is like I already said, she assumes a completely horizontal position. No uneasiness, no wing extension motion. This is a rest position and she will sometimes sit very comfortably like this for quite awhile. She kinda sinks down onto her feet too. She is not fluffed up so she's not cold (shielding her feet for example) as far as I can tell. Again its a very comfortable resting type position. The reason I am curious is, if this position is so comfortable to her, why dont I see her do it more? Why does she usually assume the upright position. Can anyone offer some insight as to why she would assume this position? Thanks!

Will try to get pictures if I can.

Normal upright position
IMG_20171103_195711.jpg

This is her flight position. If this was a video you would see very slight wing motions like she was thinking about flying.
IMG_20171104_235017.jpg

I don't have an image yet of her just resting horizontally as its rare.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Something you usually see in older birds or birds with a physical handicap. They're just taking some weight off those legs and resting on the chest. Hens also sit like that when incubating.

I think your bird just likes doing it because it's comfortable.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah, that's how I should have described it. Incubating like position without the nest. She is 7. Good to know. That's kinda what I figured was the reason. She did look quite comfortable. Thanks!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Leaning forward with a slight wing flap can be a "begging" behavior. That is, a bird who wants to go somewhere. Birds who can't, or wont, fly are more likely to display this behavior than birds who regularly fly - although fliers can also show this behavior. The difference is is that birds who can fly will just fly to where they want to go rather than hanging around and "begging".

It can also be a sign that the bird is uncomfortable with where they are at.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Our Eckie Gillian does something similar to this when she wants my girlfriend- her preferred person- to pick her up.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Here she is in what I think we all concluded is just a relaxed horizontal position.

IMG_20171114_145511.jpg