• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bobber is Over the Rainbow Bridge

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Earlier today, I was cleaning out the bird cages, and I startled Bobber, which isn't unusual; he usually heads to my son's room down the hall. I got done doing cages, maybe 15 minutes or so as I was just doing papers and spot cleaning, and realized he hadn't started contact calling for Jingo or come back yet, which also was not entirely unusual. I went to go "rescue" him from whatever he had got himself into.

I saw my bedroom door was wide open; usually I keep it closed because the cats sleep in there during the day, but my son must have opened the door up earlier without me noticing.

We have several windows there that I open up the curtains during the day to let in sunlight for the cats. Bobber must have ran into a window in his panic as I found him just lying there underneath one, already gone. The cats had not touched him, if anyone is going to ask me that hard question.

Nikolai was playing a game in the other room so didn't see; I had no idea how to explain this to him :( I waited until my husband came home so we could do it together. Trying to explain death to a 3 year old is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I couldn't be in the house; I went outside with Jingo and him and the first thing he asked, "Where's Bobber?" - I almost lost it.

I showed Jingo Bobber's body, and he was freaked out at first, and then he tried to contact call to him. I felt so bad for him.

I'm so sorry, Bobber. I know we weren't bonded, but I loved you all the same. I will miss our little chats, Mr. Green Pants.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss. I hope your Son can understand this and show him the rainbow bridge poem so he can see the beautiful place they go. :sadhug2:

We went to the library and found some books on death for kids. He'll figure it out; we are planning on a funeral for him too tomorrow to help. It's hard enough dealing with your own grief; the whole child aspect just makes it accentuated in a way I never could prepare myself for :(

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
My heart sank when I read the title for this thread...

I am so, so sorry for your loss. I am so sorry that you had to explain death to your three year old in this way. I'm so, so sorry that this tragic accident happened.

Bobber had a wonderful life with you. You were his flock, and even though he wasn't bonded to you, I'm certain that he knew you loved him.

My heart goes out to you and your family. :sorrow:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I'm sorry that this happened to you guys... Poor you and poor Bobber. Please don't blame yourself, this has tragic accident written all over it.
:sadhug2:
Just heartbreaking...:sorrow::sorrow::sorrow:

:cry3:...:sad4:...

3yo have no mind to close doors...So sad!!!! Poor Bobber.

Its likely to happen sooner or later with a cat in the house...OOOOhhhh

I'd put a push bar or something on the cats room hi enough where the 3 yo can't open it just for Jingos safety & peace of mind! They can't realize the consequences of their actions...
It wasn't the cats, please reread the post.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Noooo! Oh Shawna, I'm so so sorry!
What a horrible accident. I can't imagine what you're going through, but I hope that you and Jingo are able to help each other through your grief. He meant so much to the both of you, and even if you weren't bonded, you were flock. I'm sure he knew how much you loved him.
All my love to you and your family, and to the flock. :sorrow:

Fly high, beautiful Bobber!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'm sorry that this happened to you guys... Poor you and poor Bobber. Please don't blame yourself, this has tragic accident written all over it.
:sadhug2:

It wasn't the cats, please reread the post.

z
Sorry in my grief & tears I misread...Now I honestly feel so much better that it was a quick tragic accident.

Windows & walls...we all have them & birds panic can lead to tragedy...

:sorrow:

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So sorry to hear of your loss. I really feel for you having to explain it to your three year old, I remember having to try to explain death to my kids when they were little. As hard as it is for them to comprehend the whole idea of the loved one never being around again, they seem to accept it a little easier than most of us adults once they get used to the changes. I think having to tell the kids is the hardest part about loosing a pet, you hurt for the pet, you hurt for yourself and then you hurt for your kids even more than the other two feelings put together.
I am so sorry this accident happened to your family.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:sorrow: