• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blu's 1st Boarding Stay - Any Suggestions?

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
My wife and I are driving to Temecula, CA next week to pick up our new Goldendoodle. Blu will be boarding with our Avian Vet next Thursday - Sunday. I'm taking his food and fleece snuggler. Any suggestions or recommendations as to what else I may need to do? This will be his first time away from both of us since we got him. One or both of us have always been there to feed and play with him daily.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Dobby is such a social outgoing trouble maker he had a blast hanging out with all the other birds at the border down the road from us. He charmed her too and she said he is one of the reasons she loves boarding birds because he was so confident and outgoing and fun to be around. I think depending on Blu's personality it might turn out like it did for Dobby. We were really worried he'd be devastated and upset all week but he had all kinds of fun and made new friends.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I think you and your wife should sit down with Blu and explain to him what is going to happen, where he will be going, how long he will have to stay there, the reason why he has to go there. Watch him carefully as you are explaining because he will probably give little signals or sounds to some of the things he hears. Give him the credit he deserves in understanding what he is hearing. Remember he can understand way more than you think he can. Hope everything goes well.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Something that has home or his fav. Person scents in case he seems depressed or wont eat may help too! Someone mentioned scent in another posting. I know birds sniffers aren't the best, but they still smell! ;)

Also a foot toy (familiar vrs. new) & maybe fav. Treats
That's what I'd do if my kid wasn't available to birdy sit & I had to board.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Yeah, Pretty sure she wanted some of his food and a favorite toy or two to add to his cage so he'd feel more secure, plus the usual permission to take him to the vet if anything happened but of course it was great for him.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When I board Zoe I always bring her favorite blanket and a t shirt with my scent on it, when Valentine is boarded, since she has to be isolated (ABV) she gets visits from everybody that works there, they love her, her cage is in one of the doctors office. I always bring some of her toys, treats and food. I am with the two of them 24 seven. They love being there. Don't worry, have a great trip, cant wait to hear about the new addition

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Blu actually likes our vet and his assistant. He's also curious and doesn't get upset over new or unusual things around him. I think he will be OK. I appreciate all the input. Below is a picture of my wife with our newest family member Nick, a 12 week old Goldendoodle. He has been with my brother-in-law and his wife since my wife bought him. My BIL told me that Nick will have no problem bonding with our family of dogs and Blu. This will give Blu another dog to mimic and fuss at.

2862.jpeg

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a cutie, Will make a nice addition to your family, I'd bet!

:D

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leia boards at the vets too. I bring in her food and her familiar perches and toys, and maybe a new toy made out of her favourite materials.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
im about to do the same for my Hahns and Senegal first time leaving them for 6 days, little nervous but the place is clean with plenty of birds to keep company around hopefully i dont return to plucking.. my only fear

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
im about to do the same for my Hahns and Senegal first time leaving them for 6 days, little nervous but the place is clean with plenty of birds to keep company around hopefully i dont return to plucking.. my only fear
Enjoy your time away! Parronts need rests too ya' know!

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Blu did very good at the vet's birdie boarding room. I picked him up Sunday afternoon and he was his usual calm self. The vet techs said he was the calmest bird in the room. They also told me that when the other birds would screech and scream he never joined them but kept saying "STOP" and "BAD DOG" until they quieted down. One up side of the stay was that the vet filed his talons while he was there. I no longer feel like a blood donor when he's on my arm now!

On another note, Nick is now in his new home in Oklahoma. We have never had such a laid back calm puppy. He is now 14 weeks old and weighs 42 pounds - he's going to be big!

0602192038.jpg 0602192037a.jpg

I don't know why the last picture wouldn't load right side up but it won't.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nick is so cute - congratulations on your new family member! And he's going to be HUGE - his paws are enormous!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!