1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue jay

Discussion in 'Bird Watchers Road' started by Donna turner, 6/18/17 at 2:18 PM.

1. Donna turner

Donna turner Walking the driveway

Donna
    im so sad as I type this. For weeks I've been enjoying watching two blue jays fly around the yard looking for bugs for a family. Also an abundance of squirrels and some crows. It's been like a utopia until yesterday. My husband found blue feathers on the ground. Im sure one of my cats is the culprit and she doesn't kill fast. She tortures first. This morning I heard no blue jay calls so I'm guessing the mate witnessed the horror. Oddly there were no squirrels or crows out this morning either, eerily quiet and sad. I have the cats too keep mice in the barn under controll but today I'm so angry with the guilty one. May be silly but I am. My pet bird loved calling back to the jays every morning. She will miss them too. Just wanted to share with people that could empathize.

2. Dartman

Dartman Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Terry
    You sure it wasn't a hawk or something besides your cat? I hated that when I fed the wild birds at our old rental forever. The feral and pet cats did pick a bird off occasionally but the hawk family got far more of them as they had to feed their babies, then their young ones would practice at the feeders usually with no success but I did get some great closeup shots of very perturbed hawks on the tree after a miss.

3. Donna turner

Donna turner Walking the driveway

Donna
    I'm pretty sure it was my cat. I've rescued a couple of birds from her and caught her with others when it was too late. She's a really good hunter. I don't think a hawk would leave behind all those feathers. They take their prey somewhere else to eat. I know she's just doing what cats do but I can't help being upset about it. I'd become attached to the jays. I raised a baby jay once and I have a special place in my heart for them.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)