• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue fronted acting different

Cjohns

Moving in
I have a Blue fronted Amazon. Approximately 22 years old. Suddenly started to act different. He (we assume but thing might be wrong) has started to make weird noises, Rocks side to side, lifts one foot then the other, ruffles feathers and puffs out, kind I'd shakes a little. Almost like he is constipated or trying to lay an egg. We have owned him for 13 years and as far as we know never been near a mate. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Can you make a small video of it?

Has anything changed recently? In the environment, new family, etc?
Has the weather changed major?

Also, have you contacted a vet?

Cjohns

Moving in
Nothing has changed family wise. Noghing else out of ordinary. Weather has got hotter lately and more humid. We moved last year so we are looking for an avian vet close to us now as he does not travel well. I will try to get a video of it next time he does it.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Cjohns

Moving in
Has not been DNA tested yet. Trying to determine why acting like he is.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Thats a shame :(

Does he look in pain, is he getting more agressive?? Anything else you have noticed?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like hormonal behavior. Although, without a video, I can't tell.

Cjohns

Moving in
He has got a little more aggressive towards my spouse. I have been doing some research and I think he might be masturbating but not sure.

Cjohns

Moving in
I have tried to add video but it's too large and I don't kmow how to edit it

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have a Blue fronted Amazon. Approximately 22 years old. Suddenly started to act different. He (we assume but thing might be wrong) has started to make weird noises, Rocks side to side, lifts one foot then the other, ruffles feathers and puffs out, kind I'd shakes a little. Almost like he is constipated or trying to lay an egg. We have owned him for 13 years and as far as we know never been near a mate. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
The rocks, the foot lifts back and forth between feet, ruffles feathers, puffs out, belly vibrates kinda like shakes, and I assume Make a sound sorta like a chicken laying an egg. Or clicking sound right? and happens generally after a meal
Right? Seen that in mine off and on. I also presume you have a tight bond with it as well?
Yep, seen that many times in amazons, especially blue fronts. And particularly females.
Sure you have a male???
It is Not a medical emergency. There's nothing medically wrong with your bird. Your in close proximity, it just had its meal, and is now is eyeing you up....horny per se. ( sorry to phrase it that way, but it's layman terms.)
Taking your self away usually stops the horny attack. You see Amazon's release a scent, and it can be strong....other birds can do same...the wiff of the scent around other birds is enough of a trigger to start all that you described and then some. Sometimes it's your own scent believe it or not that will trigger it.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
If your blue front is aggressive toward your spouse, it's because it chose you as its mate!
I now pronounce you parront mate and blue front mate....you may now kiss your bird!
Your married to it now. Lol....
Seriously though, it's jealous of your spouse, it chosen you and though it's not always a hormonal thing, it's a possessive thing. No matter how hard you try, your it's mate. Might just accept that fact. It views your spouse as a threat to it's relationship with you. Just have your spouse keep distance from beak, but have your spouse talk to it assuring its ok and that bird can still have you as mate that your not taking its mate from it.
I have the very same problem...everything you have discribed.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Mine is doing the same thing right now. He/she is 36 and has this behavior at least once a year. Does yours try to feed his toys? Mine walks around the cage and feeds every bell at least once a day. Welcome to the world of the BFA!