• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue crown conure with fused feet

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yesterday I adopted an older BCC who has very limited movement in his feet. I've introduced him to Ben my green cheek, and they seem fine with each other. Usually I just leaves Ben's cage door open and he can come and go whenever he wants. I can't do that with Captain, even though he's flighted I don't think he likes to fly because he can't land well. I'm trying to think of ways to give him more freedom. Like this morning I took him out and I had no idea if he wanted to be out, or if he wanted his food or water. He pretty much just hangs out on my shoulder and he can't really get anywhere on his own. I hate having him out on my shoulder and the whole time I'm wondering if he actually wants to be in his cage or somewhere else.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@Brittany0208 has Java who has only one leg:)
Perhaps Some platform like ladders? Or a bridge like thing you could attach to his cage when he is out so he can get to a small playstand or table? Perhaps from there he could fly to his cage top? I really have no idea, henkie has one bad foot he can’t Really grip stuff with, but he is an excellent flier. Perhaps with time Captain Will become a more accomplished and confident flier:) You could show him his cage though when he is on you, if he shows interest in it you could put him in there:)

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
He seems to prefer rope perches, I asked about platforms at the rescue and they didn't think he'd be able to use them well. His feet don't really go all the way flat they're just stuck in a slightly bent position. He likes perches on the larger size and usually vet wrapped. I'll see about finding a good play stand and try putting a rope perch to it from his cage.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He needs time to get used to his surroundings. And it's also a good idea to quarantine him from your other bird(s).

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He seems to prefer rope perches, I asked about platforms at the rescue and they didn't think he'd be able to use them well. His feet don't really go all the way flat they're just stuck in a slightly bent position. He likes perches on the larger size and usually vet wrapped. I'll see about finding a good play stand and try putting a rope perch to it from his cage.
Fleece is also really good for cushioning. That's what Java has in his entire cage. He has one leg which is locked in a 90 degree angle, and he's doing well with everything being padded. I've placed a thicker perch next to his rope perch and wrapped them both in a microfiber cloth and several layers of fleece to take as much weight off his leg as possible.
Also, your bird may need several months to adjust to his environment and your routine. I've had Java for six months and he is still settling in. Knowing him, it could take another six months or more before he's completely settled in. AA has taught me two key things: patience and compassion. If you watch your bird, you'll learn what he likes and doesn't like, and what works best for him.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
He's been vetted already by the rescue, I know some would still want to quarantine but the rescue said he was good to go and I know the rescue pretty well. I know if they weren't sure they wouldn't have said it was ok to introduce him to Ben and keep him in the bird room. He's settled in really well. He's been eating and drinking, not showing any signs of stress at all. He's used to being around new people and other birds from being at the rescue. This is how we spent the morning. He just sat on my shoulder giving himself scratches as best he could with his poor little foot. To me, a bird on one foot is a big sign of trust and comfort so I was really happy to see him doing this.

IMG_7589.PNG

IMG_7590.PNG

I know he still needs time to fully settle in but he's doing really well and I just want for him to be comfortable and have some level of freedom.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I just bought a fleece hammock type thing from etsy to see if he'll like it. Im hoping he'll lay in it and give his feet a rest. Aren't there some types of fleece that are safer than others? I know you alway have to keep an eye on it but I thought there were some that didn't peel apart as easily.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just bought a fleece hammock type thing from etsy to see if he'll like it. Im hoping he'll lay in it and give his feet a rest. Aren't there some types of fleece that are safer than others? I know you alway have to keep an eye on it but I thought there were some that didn't peel apart as easily.
Yes it's called non-piling fleece. That's what I use around Java, and I always check for any holes or shredding.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's been vetted already by the rescue, I know some would still want to quarantine but the rescue said he was good to go and I know the rescue pretty well. I know if they weren't sure they wouldn't have said it was ok to introduce him to Ben and keep him in the bird room. He's settled in really well. He's been eating and drinking, not showing any signs of stress at all. He's used to being around new people and other birds from being at the rescue. This is how we spent the morning. He just sat on my shoulder giving himself scratches as best he could with his poor little foot. To me, a bird on one foot is a big sign of trust and comfort so I was really happy to see him doing this.

View attachment 283646

View attachment 283647

I know he still needs time to fully settle in but he's doing really well and I just want for him to be comfortable and have some level of freedom.
Even though he's been given the all clear from the vet, I would still keep him quarantined just to be absolutely certain. You can never be too careful with birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for taking Ben into your home. I would still quarantine him even though he has been vet checked. I always do that with new birds even if all the results from the check up and blood work has been perfect.
You might want to try one platform and see how he does. Pad the bottom of the cage with layers of non-pilling fleece. You can also wrap the platform with that. I buy the fleece at Joann and always wash it before using it with the birds.