• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue Crown Conure cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm042600

Moving in
I am considering 2 different cages for my Blue Crown Conure. I have narrowed it down to either the Chiquita or Mediana from Avian Adventures.

The Chiquita is 28x22x32 with 3/4" bar spacing.
The Mediana is 34x24x40 with 7/8" bar spacing.

Is 7/8" bar spacing too wide for a Blue Crown Conure?

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi, both those cages are nice. I believe bar spacing for BCC is 5/8 to 3/4 inches. I'm terrible at math so I will admit I don't know fractions and if 7/8" is bigger or smaller than 3/4" (hanging head shamefully). Other than that, the bigger the cage the better. Good luck.

crazyanimal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
My personal opinion is the bigger the better for the cage. I'd go with the Mediana one. I think the 7/8 is fine.

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Hi, both those cages are nice. I believe bar spacing for BCC is 5/8 to 3/4 inches. I'm terrible at math so I will admit I don't know fractions and if 7/8" is bigger or smaller than 3/4" (hanging head shamefully). Other than that, the bigger the cage the better. Good luck.
That makes two of us! I have a nice little cheat ruler though :cool:

7/8 is very much close to an inch. 3/4 is smaller

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
If you divide the top number by the bottom you will get a decimal and you can tell with that.
Like: 3/4 = 0.75 and 7/8 = 0.875

Its not much bigger and a BCC can handle it.
I say go for the bigger one. My meyers was in a 7/8" spacing once and he was ok.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I would think 7/8" would be mostly okay, but AA is notorious for having larger than specified bar spacing toward the bottom of their cages, I believe near the doors... so it might be closer to 1" there. Be careful.

mm042600

Moving in
Thanks everyone for all your advice. It really helped. Now I have to try and find a Stainless Steel Mediana. Apparently they are very difficult to get before Jan'11. Any ideas would be apreciated.

mm042600

Moving in
I spoke with Mark from freedom cages and was interested in the Deltona for my soon to arrive Blue Crown Conure. It has 1" spacing. Some say larger bar spacing is fine as long as the bird's shoulders can't get through and the head can slide in and out. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks again.

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
I spoke with Mark from freedom cages and was interested in the Deltona for my soon to arrive Blue Crown Conure. It has 1" spacing. Some say larger bar spacing is fine as long as the bird's shoulders can't get through and the head can slide in and out. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks again.
I would not go for 1" as they can still get their heads caught and it can be uncomfortable on their little feets. Not to mention if someone was walking by and the bird had his head out.... he would be a gonner. thats too big IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.