• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Blue and gold sick- Sad Update Post #72

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hope results come back tomorrow.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It must be terrible to watch her stumbling around. Keeping her in my thoughts.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
So what exactly are you testing for? Are you waiting on an ABV test?

Have they done a CBC and Chem Panel? To you, does it seem neurological in nature? Has she always been this way, has it become worse?

What did the xray show? What is her weight and how much formula are you feeding? Did she have any infections present?

I know VERY well what you are going through. My vet wanted nothing more than to put down my BG at almost that same age. She swore he had PDD and did so little to explain anything to me. PDD is nearly impossible to diagnose in a live bird and it becomes the catch all when the vets don't know what's wrong. If the vet feels so strongly did she put your baby on celebrex?

That's my next question, when vets don't opt to treat, they are usually going to recommend ending life. Then you get the necrospy back that showed no evidence of PDD.

You can not clearly suspect PDD until you exhaust all other options to the cause. Had I listened to my vet, my BG would not be here today. My BG had avian gastric yeast NOT PDD as thought.

Take a breath, slow down. Have your vet write a prescription for celebrex while you wait. Don't do anything without talking to us. Even highly respected Avian Vets are wrong sometimes.

What's the history of this bird? Where did you get her and have you contacted them?

EDIT Are you still using the dexamethasone? Why was it given? I would discontinue use of that one.

Last edited:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread, but has anyone tested her for heavy metal toxicity? I'd definitely want to rule that out before letting anyone assume PDD when the symptoms are primarily neurological.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The problem with the ABV test is that it is not always accurate and there are false positives and false negatives.

@enigma732 Somehow we all missed suggesting the heavy metal testing....so very good on you!

Another question, did she have any kind of head trauma/injury? How is her grip if you just put your finger under her foot?

Eileen D Krz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eileen Krzesinski
Hi Hankmacaw, Brandi is pretty much the same. Still very unbalanced. Can climb up the walls of the cage. She also does her favorite thing which is rub her beak on the cage. It makes me happy to see her do this!
Spoke with the vet today the pdd test will be back tomorrow. But her blood work is all over.
WBC elevated N=13.5 Brandi 37 and atypical looking.
Bld test hydration N=55 Brandi 62
Chem. CPK N=100 Brandi 96
Uric acid is low
Bld glucose N=200 Brandi 73
She is back on ciprofloxin, formula and what ever else I can get in.
Thanks for listening

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you for updating us.
Sending you warm thoughts and a hug.
Thinking about you and Brandi.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She isn't way out of whack on any of those volumes. 37,000 is a high enough white count to definately indicate an infection somewhere. You need to get more fluids in her - dehydration can make them feel bad.

Enigma736 brought something up that should have been mentioned much sooner (DUH). Heavy Metal Toxicity will cause neural problem and a high WBC. Cal your vet and ask if he/she ran any zinc or lead toxicity panels. Here is some stuff on HMT Heavy Metal Poisoning in Birds-Bird Vet Melbourne

Many researchers are seeing a high CPK with PDD and BRandi has a low CPK - that's good. http://www.susanclubb.com/pdfs/pdd.doc

I am very skeptical that it is PDD. The problem is the test results won't even tell you for sure.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Please be aware that there is NO PDD test. Your vet is testing for ABV which does not mean PDD positive. Proventricular Dilatation Disease and Avian Borna Virus | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Statiscally I should have two ABV positive birds in my flock and all my birds are healthy.

If your labs are as Hankmacaw is interpreting them I also do not feel this is PDD, I would do a heavy metal test and continue looking for other answers.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
You must be so worried.
I hope that whatever they find can be remedied quickly.
Watching a healthy bird become so ill can be so upsetting.
Good job finding out as much info as you can and finding another Vet.

Eileen D Krz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eileen Krzesinski
She had a body X-ray seeing nothing as far as pieces of metal lg or sm. I will mention tomorrow about the heavy metal.
Not sure why her blood sugar was so low.
We are really pleased with this vet we have had a serious talk with her. She will be honest with us. Brandi is taking metacam and will go on Celebrex depending on the results tomorrow. She may go on a second antibiotic. Also her chest in the X-ray was ok. We love our animals very much and have many. We will make decisions with Brandi at the top of out thoughts. Thank you all for you remarks and ideas!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There don't particularly need to be visible pieces of metal. Many birds eat paint and chew zinc plated stuff and nothing shows on a xray.

Eileen D Krz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eileen Krzesinski
I understand that but I read that parts could've sometimes be seen.
Also the X-ray did not show lung issues.
The only chance of paint is from her wood toys which are bought at a bird store. I really just want her to get better! Good night

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Eileen, has your vet talked to you about recommendations if the Borna Virus test comes back positive... or negative?

I can tell you if it comes back negative they will ask to retest her. What are the full current list of symptoms? What is her diet like, what does she weigh? Is it possible to get a video of her being unsteady?

Eileen D Krz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eileen Krzesinski
It did come back positive. We are continuing the antibiotic, continuing the metacam twice daily. Move on to Celebrex if needed. We also started her on something for liver support. Omega 3 flax seed oil for pets mixed with milk thistle daily. Hand feed and formula feed.
I think a video is a good idea.
Her weight is low but it is staying steady. Weighing her daily.
Thanks for checking in!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that the ABV test came back positive. If nothing else it puts more worry on you. Like you, I'm hoping it is a false positive.

Your vet is going with the appropriate treatment, whether she has PDD or not. Will you be running any other tests on her?

We would love to have a picture of Brandi.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to read about the positive result but you still may want to have her tested for metal toxicity just to rule that out. The ABV results could be false.