• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue and gold macaw up for adoption - Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
A few things first because I've been around bird forums long enough to unfortunately see how these threads often go....

This rehome is due to personal circumstances which have absolutely nothing to do with Jada, and as it is of personal nature and does not have anything to do with her, please respect my privacy and understand that this decision has not come lightly and has been being mulled over for months. I have already explored all options. This is my last resort, so please don't take up the thread with two pages of "oh how sad for Jada." This is for her benefit and long term happiness.

This will not be on a first come, first serve basis, but I am not unreasonable like many larger rescues are. I do require that you own a house. No rentals, no apartments. Come meet her, talk to me for awhile, verify you have some macaw experience, let me give your avian vet a call so I can see that at some point in time, you've taken a bird in for something, and the adoption will go smoothly. There will be a reasonable, low, rehoming fee and she can either go with her cage & all toys/perches, etc (macaw sized, though not a "double") or seperately if you can prove you have appropriate housing already. Adoption fee is semi-negotiable to the right home. I am not looking for her to go to a rescue, or sanctuary. Please do not e-mail these suggestions. Some of the most renowned "rescues" I see recommended on this very forum keep their birds in horrific conditions warehouse style and can not even provide toys, much less time. Jada is used to coming out of her cage almost daily and has a ton of toys to entertain herself with. She likes her playperch and will stay on a perch or playstand all day if you let her. She doesn't wander off. She is fully flighted, but I don't know if she ever learned to fly. I have let her flight feathers grow out completely. She is approx. 8 years old. I have not DNA sexed her, but her previous home told me she laid an egg, so thus I was told she was a female.

She is in full feather and very healthy. She eats zupreem natural pellets as well as fruits/veggies/birdie bread and nuts. To be honest, I have never acquired the ability to get over the fear of being bit. I handle her just fine with a perch. I have never asked her to step up from her cage to my hand as she will unge. I don't believe she is bluffing, but that decision will have to fall on more experienced hands than mine. She steps up to a stick somewhat well, it's hit or miss depending on the day lately, and she steps up fine to my hand from the ground or the tub after a shower (which she loves).

She is not a screamer and although I've never owned a large macaw before, I have spent much time around many adults and she is far quieter than the ones I had prior experience with. She is learning to forage quite well, and loves to be scratched on the neck, especially when those pesky pin feathers are coming in. Her favorite treat is an almond.

She talks a little, tries to sing when sappy chick flick songs come on (such as celine dion - sp?). I don't have large parrots she can interact with, so I don't know how she would react to that. She supposedly used to live with another B & G macaw, a male, but when I went to see them they were seperated and I don't know the back story on that. She was not cared for very well when I got her and was in a tiny cage with one crappy wood toy. Her life has changed dramatically for the better and I hate to do this, but my life has changed course dramatically as well and I am only keeping two of my "fids." The other birds have already all found loving homes that were carefully selected out of countless people who inquired. She was the last to be hung onto of all the birds except my BFA and WBC (who are staying). I didn't want to rehome her, but I don't feel like I have much choice anymore.

Please, no pm's about this unless you are seeking info on adopting her. I have limited time on the computer these days and don't want to sift through pm's trying to offer advise on a situation that is beyond my control right now.

I would not mind helping to deliver her or her cage within a reasonable distance (she shouldn't be a problem moving, but the cage is huge), but you absolutely must make the initial drive here to meet her. Shipping is out of the question.

Just wanted to add: I love her very much and will make things work if the right home can not be found. I don't know how, but I will. I am not going to dump her in a bad situation, because I promised her she would have a forever home when I took her in, and now I am going back on that word. :( She is a good bird, and does not have any of the problems I have read so much about. She deserves a good home.

Last edited:

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
She is beautiful! I truly hope you find the best home for her. I do not want to pry into your personal business, but if there is something I can do to help you keep her, you just need to ask. I honestly feel as much as they need us, we need them. If it is a financial strain that is causing you to consider rehomeing, please pm me. I am more than willing to provide food, toys, birdy bread, nuts etc so that she can stay where she is loved. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
It is unfortunatley not finances. :( But thank you, I certainly appreciate that.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Sorry about your situation Cassidy. Good luck finding her a forever home. She sure is gorgeous.

Ashley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
wished I lived closer I would take her in a heartbeat

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear it, Cassidy, but it sounds like you're going about this in the right way. I wish all the best to you and Jada.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Hi,

She is absolutely beautiful. I do commend you on trying to place her yourself with someone who will properly care for her and be responsible. I am sorry you are having to place her and if I know anyone I would definately send them your way to meet her and adopt. I do not agree with what you have said about the larger rescues as many of the organizations try and work through fosters, but if there is no rush or emergency than a rescue should not be utilized anyways. I do see your point in that area.
Good luck to you and to your baby. I hope she finds the perfect home .

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
Just wanted to update for any who may be interested to know - I found her a very good home that has other birds, including an adult B&G. They were experienced with large parrots, handled her very well, and she will have an excellent home.

It just seemed the best decision in the long run. Many of you may have read the long thread about why I decided to rehome her, and it just comes down to this: I do not want to find myself with a newborn and realize I should have spent all this time looking for a good home for Jada, and then find myself in a situation I can not handle and have to adopt her out quickly to a home I can't take my time looking for.

They already had a very large cage so now I have an empty macaw cage. :(

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad to hear you found a great home that you are pleased with
:hug8:

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Cassidy. I am happy that you found a good solution for both you and Jada.

If you need a home for that empty Macaw cage and would like to help birds in need, please consider contacting Tim Lacy at Healthpet, in Anderson, IN and donating it. Tim and Robert do a very nice job with their rescue and like most rescues are always in desperate need. HealthiPet Bird Rescue

Thank you for taking your time and doing the right thing for Jada.

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
I am sorry Cassidy, that was a hard decision to make.

How is she adjusting there?
It has only been 2 days, but so far she is adjusting well. They called yesterday to let me know she was doing well.

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
Cassidy. I am happy that you found a good solution for both you and Jada.

If you need a home for that empty Macaw cage and would like to help birds in need, please consider contacting Tim Lacy at Healthpet, in Anderson, IN and donating it. Tim and Robert do a very nice job with their rescue and like most rescues are always in desperate need. HealthiPet Bird Rescue

Thank you for taking your time and doing the right thing for Jada.
The cage is actually for sale, but thank you for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.