• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bloodfeather...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I noticed some blood in my cockatiel's cage a couple nights ago but couldn't determine the cause. I can now, because it reopened. I'm not going to lie... I'm terrified that if I try removing the 2 feathers that I've noticed myself I'll hurt her (flight feathers). It's not profusely bleeding right now and I'm watching her. Providing she's still chirping and acting up I'd be okay until I can find a vet, hopefully? I'm hoping the vet near me is open tomorrow but seeing as it's labor day weekend IDK. This is not a good term of events since I moved and am no longer near MY BIRD VET and don't know of one that specifically specializes in birds around here, just a couple that generalize in it occasionally.

I feel paranoid.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes you can pack the quill with cayenne pepper and this will stop the bleeding. If they continue to bleed they must be pulled. If you can't get to an avian vet there should be an emergency vet that you can go to. You may have to pull them yourself. It is actually pretty easy. Let us know how things progress.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Like Judy said,pack the feather with Cayenne powder.Where are You located,I can try to locate an Avian Vet near You!

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
please let us know if your baby will be ok...

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
So I have one more vet to call. but they don't open until 6:30 on Sundays. I've tried the remaining vets I know of and the sent me to other places (up to an hour or more away) but NO ONE seems to know what to do (I mean, come on now it's a bird not exactly an uncommon pet). I'm still new to the area having moved in last week so finding these places are wracking my brain. If I can't get in touch with this one other vet I'll probably ask someone I know to help me take it out, I'm just nervous about doing it myself but I guess it's got to come out one way or another and soon. I'm nervous to let it bleed again and have been "safe-guarding" her since I noticed her mishap. I'll let you know tonight how everything goes.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Okay, so it's not exactly good news. One wing was okay, I was able to safely remove one feather. The other wing though is a problem, the skin has turned black and I'm terribly afraid to remove anything there. I'm right to this, I assume? Anyway, I'm getting an appointment with a vet ASAP and until then I just hope everything goes well. Does anyone have any advice until then, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Could you please take a picture???
Has the skin turned black or just dark from bleeding or do you think there is a bruise?
That is why a picture would help us...:hug8:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
PLEASE HELP ME! I'm becoming really paranoid.

It's not blood on the skin it's the actual skin. Maybe the skin has bruised? Should I wait to take these feathers out? The black is where the injured feathers are

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
It's OK, I understand you being concerned but you need to stay calm for your bird...
Trying to get more information from you...is the whole wing skin turned black or is it just where the feather folicule is....are there more feathers injured on that wing? How is she holding the wing?:hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The "black" might be blood? I can only suggest to keep an eye on her, make sure if it bleeds again, you stop the bleeding asap.. I don't know what the black would be if it isn't blood, unless it is bruised.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OK, from what I can tell by the picture, it looks like that is an "end" flight feather (is that correct?) and the skin around the folicle is bruised...meaning that it has bled out into the skin around it...
If the "feather" is NOT bleeding I would leave this alone until you see the vet...
How is the bird reacting with the wing? Holding it down, trying to "bite" the feather shaft or just being normal and flapping its wings?:hug8:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I know the picture's not great but it's the best one I have. The wing was slightly stretched out and pressure was slightly applied just above affected area. This was the best way I could get the pic seeing as from a camera phone it's the only way we could find a way to get enough light in. It's around the area of the follicle but it exceeds the follicle area of about .5-.75"

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Is it the "end" feather on the wing or close to it?
From what I'm seeing (and thank you for the picture) it is a bruise....I would say he had a "night fright" in his cage and caught the wing hard on something...
I wouldn't pull it...How is he reacting with the wing? Holding it out from his body, picking at the feather like it is botherig him, or just being normal?
How old is this Tiel? That is a lot of blood feathers coming in on a wing....:hug8:

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Stay calm-Breath:hug8:Your doing great! It does look like a bruise,If Your bird is not being bothered by it,I would just leave it alone and keep a good eye for any actual bleeding.I Hope You can get Her to a Good Avian Vet Soon:hug8:Keep Us Posted! Healing Thoughts and Prayers for Your Bird and :hug8:of support for You!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Yeah, it was a nightfright. The one next to the end feather. I won't pull it but I'll watch him and get him to a vet when I can. Thanks.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I know how those can be...do you have a night light for them now?
That usually helps stop night frights....:hug8::heart:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I know how those can be...do you have a night light for them now?
That usually helps stop night frights....:hug8::heart:
Funny thing is I made sure there was a small light in the room at night. I'm thinking where I just moved she still gets spooked. She'll be sleeping in a smaller cage with less stuff to thrash around in and sleep in the same room as me for the next few weeks.

deehayston

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dee Hayston
I can only imagine how worried you are..the black may be dried blood just under the skin..I truly hope you can get to a vet ASAP...You might also want to try to locate an emergency hotline just to explain situation...
I'm going to check some links for you.....
Also, if you have a person who breeds birds close to you they often have dealt with similar situations....
As long as your bird is still eating, pooping normally, drinking etc..I'm praying that you can be at the vets when the door opens am...
I know emergency clinics are VERY expensive to even walk through the door but any of those in your area??
MOST OF ALL try if you can to stay calm...as your birdie will feel your anxiety...
Checking online for anything I can find to help....
Go to AvianWeb: Home Page at the top of page there's a box to ask a vet a question..not sure of response time, but worth a try ..simple, short and cover all issues as you saw them etc.
I'm still looking...
JustAnswer - Bird Veterinary Questions & Online Medical and Health Info. Online Vets Give Answers on Parrots, Parakeets, Cockatiels, Finches, Canaries, Doves, Chickens, Geese, Ducks, Peacocks, & More!

This is another with current answers from vets (above)
Lastly an url with description of how to pull blood feathers..

Pulling a Blood Feather: Instructions for pulling a blood feather

PLEASE do update us..we are all here behind you!!!

Dee

PLEASE HELP ME! I'm becoming really paranoid.

It's not blood on the skin it's the actual skin. Maybe the skin has bruised? Should I wait to take these feathers out? The black is where the injured feathers are

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Ok, so vet trip was today! It went out rather well.

She cauterized one of the feathers and removed a couple of others. She also gave me a certain powder to give to Nafesh to put in her water since she seems to be low on some important vitamins/minerals/etc.

So, seeing as I got her at 4 years old in May and her previous owner only fed her seed from Wal-Mart, I can understand that. She still doen't always want to eat a lot of different veggies (aside from squash and a couple of others) but it will be strung and available in her cage daily anyway. I'm also probably going to give her more available pellets as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.