• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Blood on vent after egg laying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cattoes7

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debi
Hello!
I'm not sure if this is an emergency or not.

My TAG, Lizzy, just laid an egg. After she laid it, I went to check on her. There is some blood on the side of her vent.

She has laid eggs before (3 since we've had her) and there has never been any blood. Did her vent tear? Does she need to go to the vet? I would have called her vet but it is after hours and no one is there. Should I call their emergency number and have her vet meet me? Or does this happen sometimes with egg laying?

Other than the blood, she seems ok. She just devoured a nutriberry I gave her and she's talking.

Thanks!
Debi

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hi Debi. I know nothing about egg laying but while you wait for those qualified to post it might be a good idea to call your Avian Vet and get their advice. I hope everything will be ok.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi try and relax.

Most likely the blood is from stretching laying the egg if it is bright red, dark blood would be something else. Are the eggs well formed? How many eggs at a time does the bird normally lay? If you feel she is going to lay more than one egg and having trouble with another call your avian vet now and talk tell him what you see. When you talk to him ask about adding Calciboost, Avi-Cal, Calci-vet to the birds water. You can also grind up cuttlebone and sprinkle over the birds food.

You can always call the emergency clinic for peace of mind.

Gary

Last edited:

Cattoes7

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debi
Thanks!

The blood is bright red.

The egg broke on the bottom of her cage. As far as I can tell it was well formed. The shell was hard when I removed it ( which was within a minute of her laying since I heard it hit the bottom).

The first clutch she had was 2 eggs about 5 days apart. Then she had a 3rd egg several weeks later with no following eggs until now (probably 1 month since the last egg)... So I don't really know if she will lay another or not.

I hate this egg laying business- it stresses me out :(
I get very worried about her because I am afraid something will go wrong.

Thanks for the replies!
Debi

Last edited:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Debi, I agree with Gary - it's probably from over-stretching. If you don't see any more fresh blood the vet visit can wait till morning, IMO.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well.....I am going through this egg laying thing with Kita.....
Kita had an appointment at the AV on Friday and she told me to watch for blood on the eggs/vent/bottom of cage, etc.....
She instructed me that a small amount is not anything to worry about but that she did want me to call and let her know if I do see blood... and it also seemed to me that she was not concerned about it if it were just once or twice.... My understanding is that it could indicate a possible prolapse or infection..... but I think it would be more severe than just seeing blood one time.... but she did want to be informed
The AV told me, of course that, a large amount of blood or continuous bleeding is an emergency.....

Also.....she also showed me pictures of prolapses and told me that Kita's thingie should open to push the egg out and then go right back to normal "like a wink" but she said if anything is protruding there on Kita that I need to call ASAP........ Ok... that might be TMI, but I thought it was important to share since I knew nothing at all about this before Friday

Last edited:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks!

The blood is bright red.

The egg broke on the bottom of her cage. As far as I can tell it was well formed. The shell was hard when I removed it ( which was within a minute of her laying since I heard it hit the bottom).

The first clutch she had was 2 eggs about 5 days apart. Then she had a 3rd egg several weeks later with no following eggs until now (probably 1 month since the last egg)... So I don't really know if she will lay another or not.

I hate this egg laying business- it stresses me out :(
I get very worried about her because I am afraid something will go wrong.

Thanks for the replies!
Debi
You are not kidding about the stress.... times like these make me wish I had boys.......

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
a little blood is normal, and as long as her vent looks normal, she should be ok..keep an eye on her..also, I would highly advise getting some false eggs for her so that she can sit on them...yes, I agree...egg laying is very very stressful

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What is Lizzy's diet like and what is her fitness level?

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I know nothing about egg laying as mine are all boys but good luck with Lizzie.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The first time my Gracie Tiel laid an egg it had blood on it and I freaked! It happened to be rather late at night and the emergency vet was so very kind and I kept talking his ear off. He finally said "If this is your bird's first egg, then she was a virgin. Now she has stretched her oviducts and cloaca, she should be fine. Call again if she has any more blood, more than a smear." He paused and then added, "But hopefully not again tonight." and hung up.

Cattoes7

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debi
Her diet consists of Harrisons Lifetime maint pellets. Zupreem fruit pellets, and fresh fruit and veggies.

She's flighted and gets plenty of exercise.

I am going to leave work early today to get her to the vet. She is not bleeding anymore but her vent looks puffy to me and I am concerned about it.
I probably should have called out sick since I am just sitting here stressing out about it.
Debi

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Her diet consists of Harrisons Lifetime maint pellets. Zupreem fruit pellets, and fresh fruit and veggies.

She's flighted and gets plenty of exercise.

Debi
That bodes well that she should not have too much problem laying eggs. As long as it doesn't become excessive of course.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel

You are not kidding about the stress.... times like these make me wish I had boys.......
That is the reason I have all boys! It freaked me out thinking about it.

I really hope everything is ok...hugs!

Cattoes7

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debi
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post.
Gary, I wasn't able to PM you back to thank you for the info you sent me- I have to have a certain amount of posts before I can PM apparently- so thank you!
Debi

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am going to leave work early today to get her to the vet. She is not bleeding anymore but her vent looks puffy to me and I am concerned about it.
I probably should have called out sick since I am just sitting here stressing out about it.
Debi
I hate that feeling.... glad you are taking her to the Vet.... always better to go with your gut and get any concerns checked out!!!!
You are a great bird mom.... hoping all goes well!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.