• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood in poop?

Nejibana

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tia
I’ve had my new budgie for about 6 weeks now, he’s my first bird and I bought him from a pet store, he’s a aviary bred, not particularly hand tame and quite young.
He’s always had problems with a dirty vent and I took him to the vet a week or so after I got him.
The vet found worms eggs in his poop and old feather mite eggs on his wings. He’s had two shots so far for treatment, once 19 days ago and another 5 days ago. This afternoon, I noticed what I think is blood in his poop. He’s recently started eating broccoli and lettuce with his regular food (within the last two days) this is the only change in his diet. He still seems pretty chipper and was flying around outside his cage and playing with a toy in his cage today.

I have another appointment for his final worm check up on Friday, should I move it forward or wait and see if the blood continues?
Its worth noting that I do not have a specialized avian vet available where I am.
Could the blood be from the worms passing? Could the dirty vent be a symptom of something? What else could cause this?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is the blood bright red or dark (almost black)? Was it one poop or several that were affected? And just to be sure, he eats no artificially colored pellets?

Nejibana

Real Name
Tia
Is the blood bright red or dark (almost black)? Was it one poop or several that were affected? And just to be sure, he eats no artificially colored pellets?
It’s not bright red, like arterial blood, kind of a mid tone edging towards darker. It was about 3-4 poops, and no artificial colours in his pellets, he does have capsicum and beetroot in his diet, but only tiny amounts mixed into his bread, which he has been eating for three weeks, with no colour changes.

Nejibana

Real Name
Tia
I just changed his newspaper cage liner to white paper towels to see if there’s anymore. He’s only pooped once since and there’s no sign of blood in it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would continue to monitor, but contact your vet and ask their opinion if it happens again. I don't know that wormer would cause the blood in the droppings. Usually if there is an active bleed, it will continue to show up in the droppings.

Has the medication made him constipated at all? Perhaps it's from straining?

If he got a higher concentration of beetroot in his piece of bread today it may have also presented differently than normal.

Nejibana

Real Name
Tia
I would continue to monitor, but contact your vet and ask their opinion if it happens again. I don't know that wormer would cause the blood in the droppings. Usually if there is an active bleed, it will continue to show up in the droppings.

Has the medication made him constipated at all? Perhaps it's from straining?

If he got a higher concentration of beetroot in his piece of bread today it may have also presented differently than normal.
Thank you so much for your help, I don’t think the medication has cause constipation, the droppings were regular and I noticed no change in the days after the shots. I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on him and even if it doesn’t repeat I’ll still talk to the vet about it. He hasn’t been with me all that long but he’s already my baby, I was (and still am to a degree) really worried. Do you have any idea what could be the cause of the dirty vent?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Dirty vent is a symptom that could be anything really :( it's not unique to any particular illness sadly

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I would get in touch with your vet and possibly go and have a check up done just to be on the safe side.