• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Blood in parrots poop?

panchito98

Checking out the neighborhood
Today while cleaning my parrots cage I noticed some blood in fresh droppings that we were not there in the morning so this is just recently happening. He has been on metacam for a couple weeks due to complications with a droopy wing and self mutilation that has been advised by vets to be amputated (that's another story). I am not sure if it is the metacam causing this but I will not use it anymore just for safe measures. He still has an appetite, talks, and leaves the cage to explore around the house if that means anything. He has an appointment coming up in 2 days for his wing but now this is a new problem we are faced with. What can be the reason for the blood in his stool? I attached pictures for a better understanding. poop.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know, but it is highly unlikely that it is the metacam. Metacam effects the kidneys, but rarely and not for a long time. If you have an appointment in two days the vet will find out what the problem.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would call the vet and ask what they suggest about the metacam before stopping it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
There also looks like a normal colored poop on the paper. Has your bird eaten anything that is red in color? Do you feed multi colored pellets or have given any red vegetables or red fruit? Colored foods will affect and change the color of their poop.

panchito98

Checking out the neighborhood
There also looks like a normal colored poop on the paper. Has your bird eaten anything that is red in color? Do you feed multi colored pellets or have given any red vegetables or red fruit? Colored foods will affect and change the color of their poop.
The only red food we’d given him today was some red apple. And no, his pellets are plain and natural so I doubt that’s what’s causing the problem. Just checked on his droppings again and now all appear to have blood. Really hope this isn’t anything too serious.