• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Blood feather

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemorning

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Virginia
Our african grey just broke a blood feather.We can not pull it because its broken off right at his skin and cannot get a hold of it.We stopped the bleeding (he was in alot of pain).with cornstarch.We're watching to make sure he is not bleeding.No avian vets here and all vets are closed now.Closest is 1 1/2 hr away but also closed.Should this get pulled or not.It would have to wait till tomorrow.Right now he is resting and not happy with us.Poor guy.I feel so bad for him.Any answers would be really apperciated.Thanks

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
We had the exact same thing happen with one of our greys. Feather broke very near the skin, and we decided to pull it.
By the time we gathered the things to take care of the feather, he had taken care if it himself.
That's what they would need to do in the wild - fix it or bleed to death.
Not saying your bird will do this - just that quite often, the bird takes care of it.
However, if you aren't comfortable pulling it yourself, get him to the vet tomorrow. It has to be removed.
Keep a very close eye on him.
Best of luck.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
As long as the bleeding has stopped that's good. If you have cayenne pepper you can also apply some of that because it will help sooth any irritation and works as an antiseptic. If he is leaving the area alone it should be fine till morning when you can call the vet and see what he suggests. Sometimes when the feather breaks right at the skin there is no problem but sometimes it needs to be pulled because it starts bleeding again and acts like an open straw. Don't fuss with it but keep an eye on him. If it starts bleeding again apply more cayenne pepper or cornstarch and apply pressure with a clean rag till it stops bleeding.

bluemorning

Real Name
Virginia
It's so deep I don't think we can get a hold of it. Right now he won't let us near him.He's resting in his cage but growls at us.He's been through alot right now,and I guess he blames us.Could this get infected? How would we pull it when it's so deep,push the skin back?

bluemorning

Real Name
Virginia
Thanks! I guess I was posting at the same time.I'll call the vet tomorrow,if something happens I'll use the cayenne pepper.Thanks to you both for the answers!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I had a cockatiel break off a blood feather below skin level and had to use a hemostat to get it out. I had to push pretty hard on her to get hold of the broken feather, but it did come out. I would have never gotten it except for that hemostat. Tasha was very unhappy with me for weeks.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Virginia, any problems during the night?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How's he doing?

Ginger

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
hope he's okay, had my Harris' hawk break a feather before, we left it in, but it did moult out pretty soon. Sadly he nearly did die from it but we got him back to health, he's great now.

Perhaps see a vet when they're open again, but for now keep a close eye on him

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor guy..hope he is ok..please give us an update!

bluemorning

Real Name
Virginia
He's still sleeping.He seems fine.No vets open here yet for awhile.I think I will leave him in his cage so he doesn't bump his wing and remove a few toys.He sure is not happy with us,wouldn't even take his fav. treats last night.I will let everyone know after I get hold of a vet.Thank You

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor guy,I hope he will be ok.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
maybe you could grip it with some pliers or tweezers?
That can work sometimes but as I found when it happened to Ruby and I grabbed the edges with the needle-nosed pliars the edges just fell apart causing the shaft to be even more embedded under the skin. The vet had to extract it.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Trying to remove a broken blood feather really is a two person job. One thing though if you try to remove it yourself he will probably have ill feelings towards you for a while. I would really let the vet be the bad guy and remove it.

bluemorning

Real Name
Virginia
ThE Avian vet just called...big relief....she said as long as he's not bothering it to leave it alone but if he starts to dig at it and it starts bleeding to stop the bleeding and bring him in.(No avian vets here).But 1 1/2 hr drive to see her is nothing where Trip our grey is concerned.She said she would probably have to give him a mild sedative to calm him since it's so deep.But all in all he seems fine right now,back to himself and talking up a storm.But I'm keeping him in his cage for now (he's not happy about that) and toys in his way are moved. It was so hard last night with him screaming in pain.Thanks everyone for your concern! Sure makes a person feel better.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Sounds sensible and I'm glad she would give him a bit of a sedative, I think a little bit would go along way in making the procedure less traumatic. It would be like some doc trying to dig out a ingrown fingernail or worse.

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Glad to hear you may not have to to anything about it an let it grow out if he leaves it alone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.