• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Blood feather?

Bee&Birb

Moving in
Real Name
Bee
I think my cockatiel has a blood feather under her wing. I don’t now what to do since I’m not sure if it’s still bleeding and I don’t want to have to grab her because she really hates it. She seems fine but I’m still worried that it might keep bleeding especially since I start school tomorrow and I won’t be able to keep an eye on her. She also keeps preening around it and getting blood on her beak.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If it’s still bleeding you’ll need to catch her and towel her to apply some cornstarch or plain flour to the site to stop it bleeding.
If the broken blood feather continues to bleed or she continues to bother it then you’ll need to get your bird to an Avian vet for them to safely pull the broken feather (doing it yourself when you haven’t been taught can cause serious damage to your birds wing).
How much bleeding is there? Any chance of a clear picture?

Bee&Birb

Moving in
Real Name
Bee
If it’s still bleeding you’ll need to catch her and towel her to apply some cornstarch or plain flour to the site to stop it bleeding.
If the broken blood feather continues to bleed or she continues to bother it then you’ll need to get your bird to an Avian vet for them to safely pull the broken feather (doing it yourself when you haven’t been taught can cause serious damage to your birds wing).
How much bleeding is there? Any chance of a clear picture?
I don’t think it’s still bleeding right now and she isn’t bothering it as far as I can tell. It wasn’t a lot of blood I think but I still couldn’t get a good look at the spot I probably wouldn’t be able to get a picture either