• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood feather?

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
Guessing this is a blood feather?
First time I've seen blood on any of his feathers, and it's the only one.

The feather also looks cut, not plucked out.

I just finished cleaning his cage and didn't see any other blood spots anywhere.
Checked him and don't see any blood either.

Wondering if this is cause for concern or if others see this from time to time?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, it looks like it came out while it was still growing. The bleeding must have stopped fairly quickly, which often happens. It's not usually a cause for concern, and he probably broke it while being active. I forget, how old is he? Is he flighted? How large is his cage?

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
Hes just over 1 year old and was fully flighted ... until recently.
Really for his own protection because he once flew into the living room window and then another time into the TV so I had his wings clipped to slow down his speed. He can still fly around. Cage is about 4ft high 2 or 2.5 deep. He doesn't have any problems in the cage though I suppose a mistep or accident could happen

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So instead of disguising the window/TV (adapting the environment) you thought it was better to handicap your bird?

It's awfully hard to learn how ride a bike well if someone insists on flattening the tires (clip). Probably never learn to ride well. See the point?

The broken feather is almost certainly the consequence of being handicapped.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We see those from time to time. It's exactly like @Tiel Feathers said, a feather that came out while it was still growing. Milton gets blood feathers all the time in his crest...he's got four active ones coming in there right now! He's always fiddling with them, so they must itch a lot. I have the GREAT honor to manipulate the feathers to give him some relief...

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
So instead of disguising the window/TV (adapting the environment) you thought it was better to handicap your bird?

It's awfully hard to learn how ride a bike well if someone insists on flattening the tires (clip). Probably never learn to ride well. See the point?

The broken feather is almost certainly the consequence of being handicapped.
Haha, not quite, he would fly for long periods no problems, then those two incidents happened. So rather than waiting for something more serious to happen I decided to slow him down. So he knew how to ride a bike, he was just too careless to let him fly full speed around the house.

I understand there's 2 sides of the fence when it comes to clipping a birds wings.
I never clipped his wings because I didn't think I should or needed to. Now I think I should.

So we see each other on 2 different sides of the fence.
Howdy neighbor! :hug8:

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
We see those from time to time. It's exactly like @Tiel Feathers said, a feather that came out while it was still growing. Milton gets blood feathers all the time in his crest...he's got four active ones coming in there right now! He's always fiddling with them, so they must itch a lot. I have the GREAT honor to manipulate the feathers to give him some relief...
Thanks, it's a relief to know something your were concerned with is completely normal. 4 blood feathers, he's going to need extra attention to them I'm assuming.
Is he demanding this GREAT service? ;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thanks, it's a relief to know something your were concerned with is completely normal. 4 blood feathers, he's going to need extra attention to them I'm assuming.
Is he demanding this GREAT service? ;)
Oh yes, Milty comes over and bows his head to let me know that it's scritch time. The secret is gentle rolling of the blood feather...and the "WETS"..making the sheath softer...

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
The secret is gentle rolling of the blood feather...and the "WETS"..making the sheath softer...
I'll keep that in mind when it happens again, and I'll be sure to be aware of the sensitivity he may have to these feathers.

Sort of related, I've seen somewhere (might have been here) where someone saved the feathers from their bird and then placed them in a pattern in between 2 sheets of glass in a frame. Looked really cool so plan on doing the same, then though another weird option and might be gross but wonder how one full of blood feathers would look.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So he knew how to ride a bike, he was just too careless to let him fly full speed around the house.
So instead of making your home safe for a bird you make a decisions that will ruin his life and make him unhealthy.
Haha, not quite, he would fly for long periods no problems, then those two incidents happened.
Only because you don't made you home safe for a flying bird. And if one accident happen, you must learn to make it safer so not that will happen again.
And to cut wings is not the right way to make it more safe. You should have ask us first, we can help you make it safe for him.

I have two "jets" :D that lives free flying indoors. It is a pleasure to see them flying around and chasing each other, and I often have to duck when they come flying.
To take that away from them will be a very cruel thing and never something I would do. (and it's not legal in my Country either)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I have two "jets" :D that lives free flying indoors. It is a pleasure to see them flying around and chasing each other, and I often have to duck when they come flying.
...try five buzzbombs....when they all come out for a spin, you have to dive onto the floor to be safe!
And just to be honest here, Milton is clipped to a prior injury that makes flight painful for him, and Buddy was clipped when he was at the rescue....we are letting him grow back his feathers now that he's here with us. I can't wait to see how he does when he begins flying again...:D

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
you have to dive onto the floor to be safe!
Yes that has happen here too. Very often. :D
I always communicate to them telling where I am and sometimes I'm sure they know and only want to give me some exercise.

Akela saying to Eliy: - Come on, let's see that silly human throwing herself to the floor!