1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Blood feather broken! Please help!

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Parchmento, 9/26/18.

1. Parchmento

Parchmento Meeting neighbors

Alyssa
    Sunny just broke a blood feather, tried putting cornstarch on it but I don’t know what else to do! Please help!

2. Parchmento

Alyssa
    I’m worried Sunny is losing too much blood please help!

3. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Tailgating!!! I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Karen
    Quoting @rocky'smom from another thread: Urgent - How to pull a blood feather when you can't touch bird? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
    You have to stop the bleeding Now. Wrap your bird in towel and get some cornstarch, take him in the bathroom or another small room. Get your finger and thumb and apply pressure to bleeding hold it tightly for several minutes. The pressure will help bleeding to stop. If it doesn't then take 3 finger pinch of the corn starch and apply it to feather shaft hold it tightly again with pressure.
    Birds can bleed to death if you don't stop the bleeding. It up to you to be strong and take care of him now.

4. soleaux

soleaux Walking the driveway

Nola
    Is it still bleeding? If so you may need to pull it out. Take some tweezers and grasp the feather to where the feather goes up down tweezers’ length (so the feather is running parallel to the tweezers). Make sure you pull it out like this, NOT where the tweezers are coming perpendicular to the feather (like a T). Let me know if this makes sense otherwise I can take a picture to demonstrate.

As you pull the feather, hold the skin at its base, since it’s delicate and the skin could be ripped if there’s no support. Monitor Sunny closely afterwards to make sure energy is ok, try to get some pedialyte and apple/electrolytes in, dark spot and lots of rest will help. If a lot of blood is lost and Sunny is really lethargic, make sure to call a vet as soon as you can.

5. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Corn starch or Kwik Stop and pressure. If it doesn't stop you will have to pull the feather and if you can't do that get the bird to the vet now. I hope, though, that by now the bleeding has stopped.

6. Parchmento

Alyssa
    Thank you all so much. I had a panic/anxiety attack and couldn’t think straight, so my dad luckily managed to pull the blood feather completely out and put corn starch on it. I’m still just really shaken up from the situation and I feel so useless since I couldn’t do anything because I was panicking. I’m sorry for worrying everyone

7. soleaux

soleaux Walking the driveway

Nola
    Don’t be sorry! A broken blood feather can be VERY scary. I’m glad Sunny is okay. In these situations it can be very hard to think straight, so don’t be hard on yourself. Take care of yourself and be sure to calm down/rest too :hug8:

8. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Glad that your dad was able to pull the feather and the bleeding has stopped. No need to apologize. When one can't stop the bleeding from a broken blood feather it is stressful for the human and the bird. Kuiper has broken multiple blood feathers and I was successful getting the bleeding to stop except for one time. Luckily my vet was still opened for about another 20 mins. and I was able to rush him over there and get the feather pulled.

Did Sunny have a fright? 'tiels are prone to night frights.

9. Parchmento

Alyssa
    Thank you all so much. Sunny didn’t have a night fright. I just scared him when he was out of his cage by coughing and he flew around a lot and landed. I didn’t really think anything of it, since he usually gets a bit startled by coughs a lot and does the same thing without issue, but when I was going to cuddle him I noticed blood on his beak. And then I found the feather that was broken. Scary stuff

10. Parchmento

Alyssa
    Would it be okay to reward him with some millet for being such a good bird (and also to get his energy back)? I find it a bit funny that I was more panicked than he was, and he was the one injured.

faislaq, Tiel Feathers and Shezbug like this.
  11. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    I was quoted, and adding my 2cents, GOOD JOB, remember to breath, cuz they are more frightened then you are, if you are calm they are too.

12. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    Yup given him treat

faislaq, Parchmento and Shezbug like this.
  13. iamwhoiam

Give him his treat and let him relax and get some rest.

faislaq and Parchmento like this.
  14. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    Get a treat for yourself and your dad too!:)

faislaq, Parchmento and soleaux like this.
  15. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

:hug8:

faislaq and Parchmento like this.
  16. iamwhoiam

How is Sunny doing?

17. Parchmento

Alyssa
    Sunny is back to his usual self, though he is still getting used to flying again since the blood feather he lost was a flight feather.

iamwhoiam, Tiel Feathers and faislaq like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)