• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Blocked nose

TheEvilSkely

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, this is my very first post in this forum.

My pet cockatiel: Dora looks really sick to me. Her nose is clogged up and she is making a lot of noise. Can it be removed? If so, how? Please, DO NOT tell me to go check in a vet. I've had very bad experiences with them (it's not money)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can use a moist,,not wet Q tip to clean that out,,if your really experienced, use a small pair of tweezers or a tiny pair of hemostats to get it out of there.. hope shes ok.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Find your bird an Certified Avian Vet in your area just in case your bird does need professional help. Try a search online using your zip code. Don't wait until you have a real emergency.

:welave: We love new Roadies. We also love pictures. Cockatiels are the most popular bird we see.:hi: :greet7:

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If it's just recent fluff etc, you can lightly mist water or just wet your finger and wipe it over the nostril. If this is a long term issue, the debris is packed in, there is discharge or oozing or there's any infection, your bird DOES need an Avian vet. It can be very serious. The bird may need to be sedated and have the guck removed. There is a gruesome video of an African Grey having this done and it is no easy task. Sometimes the nasal passages are deteriorated if the infection is left too long.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Also, you say she looks sick. Don't you think that means she needs medical attention? If you don't like the vet you went to, find another one. Your bird could die otherwise.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I agree with what others had said. It really depends on what it is clogged with and if this a short term or long term issue. A warm wet paper towel and gently rubbing may do the trick if it is a short term issue.

I'm not sure what bad experiences you have ever had with a vet but if you had bad experiences then find another. It is extremely important to have a good avian vet established for emergencies. Most emergency vets actually will not see parrots, trust me I learned that the hard way. So it's going to be worth it to find one you like.

If its something long term like something harder or it really clogged you'll need to get the bird to an avian vet. Like @DQTimnehs said, if its a really bad clog the bird may even need to be sedated.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you post your approximate location maybe a member here can recommend a vet to you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A bird that looks sick and can't breath well will most likely need antibiotics. Please do not judge all vets from a bad experience. We all have most likely had bad vet experiences.