1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blind Puffin HELP Needed!

Discussion in 'Special Needs Crossing' started by Danita, 5/16/17.

1. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran TAILGATING I Can't Stop Posting!

Thank you for helping the Puffin. He is very cute.

2. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor TAILGATING

Shawna
    Well I was thinking if you contacted a zoo or aquarium, they might be able to give you ideas on enrichment. Doesn't have to be local, any that house puffins.

Milo likes this.
  3. Kimberla

Kimberla Jogging around the block

We have a lady that lives in Toledo, Ohio that is working with blind and/or deaf dogs. She has done amazing work! Her name is Lara Joseph. She owns the Animal Behavior Center. She is fabulous. You might contact her and see if she might have some ideas or knows someone that does.

Karen likes this.
  4. Milo

Milo Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Jenny
    Aquariums and Zoos here in the US might also be able to help you with enrichment and enclosure ideas. The zoo vets that I work with are pretty amazing people and are usually very interested in consulting with others, they also might be able to provide guidance for further testing or treatment to make sure that he stays comfortable.

Poofypuffin likes this.
  5. Rolanda

Rolanda Rollerblading along the road

Sea World might be a very good resource

Poofypuffin likes this.
  6. Tyrion

Tyrion Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Annette Thompson
    OMG he is so cute ...thank you for helping him when most wouldnt ..best of luck with the lil guy :)

Poofypuffin and Hankmacaw like this.
  7. rockybird

rockybird Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Can you ask the vet about steroid drops for his eyes?

Eloy likes this.
  8. Milo

Milo Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Jenny
    Depending on the issue steroid drops may hurt what's going on. Steroids in birds also have a razor thin margin of safety. If you're thinking along the lines of possible inflammation, an nsaid for the eyes would be a safer bet.

I wish he were near here :( our opthalmology department LOVES to consult on birds

Sarahmoluccan and Hankmacaw like this.
  9. Patty Girl

Patty Girl Walking the driveway

Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
    "You are amazing!" On behalf of Mundi Lundi , I say, "Thank you so very much, may he give you as much joy as you seem to have given him!"

Hankmacaw and Eloy like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)