• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blind CAG

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I wanted to ask if anyone here had a blind AG. I am thinking of taking one in. The lady said he is 15 yrs old and has been blind since he was much younger due to an accident. She says the bird is cage bound but content that way. What I wanted to ask, does a blind bird have to be cage bound? She says he will let you stroke and pet him, but doesn't come out of his cage. That seems a sad existence to me. Any input from people with blind birds would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I do not have any experience with a blind bird, but if you have facebook you should see https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=lara joseph

she is working with an older blind amazon and has made remarkable progress with him. She also has 2 blind dogs and one of them is Deaf and blind.
Check her out then decide if you will be able to work with the Grey.Please keep us posted:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I do not have any experience with a blind bird, but if you have facebook you should see https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=lara joseph

she is working with an older blind amazon and has made remarkable progress with him. She also has 2 blind dogs and one of them is Deaf and blind.
Check her out then decide if you will be able to work with the Grey.Please keep us posted:hug8:

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
@cathybill7 If this is the bird im thinking of (JoJo) , please take him. I seen the ad. Just inbox me for my opinion. :)

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@cathybill7 If this is the bird im thinking of (JoJo) , please take him. I seen the ad. Just inbox me for my opinion. :)
I don't know if this bird is JoJo. I didn't ask his name. I've only seen the ad. It is out of Georgia. I am in Texas, but I am going to Ga and a friend emailed me the ad. Who is the JoJo refer to and let me know where he is?

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ok Katelyn Deanne, I went back and looked at the ad. Yes it is JoJo. Tell me what you know. I would love to hear more. I've contacted the person by email, but haven't heard back yet. Have you made contact? Where are you located, like I said, I'm in East TX. I would love to take this bird, because I know how my birds live and think I could do right by this bird.

Last edited:

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Ok Katelyn Deanne, I went back and looked at the ad. Yes it is JoJo. Tell me what you know. I would love to hear more. I've contacted the person by email, but haven't heard back yet. Have you made contact? Where are you located, like I said, I'm in East TX. I would love to take this bird, because I know how my birds live and think I could do right by this bird.
I seen the ad because im in Alabama. I felt bad for him and emailed the woman. She asked me what I wanted in a grey and I told her one that was well socialized and needed adoption to a good family. She replied and told me he wasnt the bird for me and not allowed out of his cage. She was kind of rude. I really want him to go to a good home and learn more about him. You could be his happy ending :) Please keep me updated!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You would be such an angel to take her in @cathybill7 ! I just adopted a, according to her leg band, 6 year old blind lovebird who was found outside. She was only sitting in a corner at the rescue/vet but has been blossiming here already and it has only been three days. I would use a long, lower cage. Fleece on the bottom, platforms, Maybe ladders. I have a couple flat ladders(pet mice bridges) I bought for Xena but don’t find them as usefull as I thought they would be, I am using them for when she decides to come out of the cage. Keep the cage arrangement the same, set it up all the way before bringing him home, I didn’t. That was a mistake, Xena doesn’t mind me rearranging things too much but it is not iDeal. Adjust things to Jojo as uou go along. Perches and such should be within reach if his beak, Xena uses her beak to ‘feel’ what is around her, if Jojo does that too, he won’t Know there’s a perch if he can’t Reach it. I have mostly Cork perches, flat perches, a platform and a few normal perches for Xena. It helps to talk a lot, tell what you are doing very clearly so he knows what to anticipate(no idea whether it has helped already but I imagine with time it Will). Reading, Reading and talking are enjoyed by her. Her favorite toy AO far is a plastic chain with little charms she can bash around against the bars, or things she can throw around on the floor. If there is any way I can help, please ask!

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Basically, if you even mention bringing the bird out of the cage ... for instance asking her questions like "how does he get around when out of the cage?" or anything like that, she will automatically turn you down. This woman doesnt want this bird out of the cage for his safety. Not even if you just want to hold him. Thats why hes been posted for a while now. Hopefully this helps. :meh:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Basically, if you even mention bringing the bird out of the cage ... for instance asking her questions like "how does he get around when out of the cage?" or anything like that, she will automatically turn you down. This woman doesnt want this bird out of the cage for his safety. Not even if you just want to hold him. Thats why hes been posted for a while now. Hopefully this helps. :meh:
It does help. I got an email from a person named Ed and he said interesting and we could discuss, but seemed hesitant and really reiterated the bird was cage bound. Doesn't sound very hopeful, but I am going to keep working and see what happens. He was telling me he thinks the trip would be too traumatic for the bird as we will be bringing it from GA to TX.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
It does help. I got an email from a person named Ed and he said interesting and we could discuss, but seemed hesitant and really reiterated the bird was cage bound. Doesn't sound very hopeful, but I am going to keep working and see what happens. He was telling me he thinks the trip would be too traumatic for the bird as we will be bringing it from GA to TX.
Yeah, Like I was saying, she instantly shot me down just because I wanted to take the bird out of its cage. I can only imagine what they would say about it traveling. I would just assure them your seriously wanting to help with him having a good home. Good luck. Lol :)

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks KatelynDeanne. I told them I would let the bird travel in a smaller cage in my truck, to make it feel more secure, but I can't tell much about these people. I told them I understood how hard it was to place a blind bird and tried to assure them the bird would have a good home, but they seem like they are very hesitant to let the bird go anywhere. I didn't even mention taking the bird out of the cage, other than for traveling to get it home. lol We'll see what they do. The ball is in their court now.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope things work out. It would be so great if you got this bird.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Thanks KatelynDeanne. I told them I would let the bird travel in a smaller cage in my truck, to make it feel more secure, but I can't tell much about these people. I told them I understood how hard it was to place a blind bird and tried to assure them the bird would have a good home, but they seem like they are very hesitant to let the bird go anywhere. I didn't even mention taking the bird out of the cage, other than for traveling to get it home. lol We'll see what they do. The ball is in their court now.
See and there isnt much you can say to them either. If you want to adopt the bird, of course it has to come out of the cage. LOL But if they have a good enough heart, and need to rehome this bird, then they need to let him go to someone like you who is willing to travel all that way to care for him. I hope you hear something back!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
These people sure seem to think that this bird is made of glass. I think as long as you take things slow and put some precautions in place, things will be fine.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
These people sure seem to think that this bird is made of glass. I think as long as you take things slow and put some precautions in place, things will be fine.
agreed. If they are going to be so picky about things as simple as the bird coming out of the cage, then why even rehome him? I hope they message them back with good news.