• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

blended veggies?

jhaylo

Moving in
Real Name
j
Hi. So I have two budgies who I've been trying to ween onto veggies (if anyone has suggestions in the way of this... I'll take em. Right now I'm just aiming for consistency, but don't want to go to any starving techniques, most I've tried was only veggies an hour in the morning and yielding no results.)
One of them isn't fully blind - but he can't see super well. This is only partially important, but basically I only put the veggies directly in his bowl because otherwise he wouldn't even know they were there, probably. I've been cutting them nice and small, and unlike my other budgie, he hasn't had any fear of them for me to try and get him past -- he just doesn't understand how to bite them. He chomps on his seeds fine, but both with toys and these veggies, he'll just hold them in his beak with not enough force to actually eat any veggies.
Back when I first got him he was more unhealthy than usual for a new budgie from a petstore in the diet department, so for a few days I gave him purely carrot baby food mixed with his seed and it seemed to work well for him. Would something like this, --I would probably blend them myself, not buy baby food, but create the same consistently-- be okay for a constant diet?
I haven't found anything to the contrary, but I think most people don't do it because their birds don't like the texture/they prefer the stimulation of whole/chopped veggies. But Benji didn't have an issue in the past, so is that a fine way to get him the same nutrition? Has anyone done this before? TIA. : )

TL;DR *i write a lot sorry*; Is their any disadvantage to blended veggies if you're budgie has no interest in them otherwise?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The main downside I can think of is the change to the fiber, as it is altered during blending, which could cause runny stools perhaps? It would also spoil a lot faster than chopped veggies. Other than that, I am not sure!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My budgie wont eat small bits of veg, he will only eat large pieces that hang from the roof of his cage and he loves it if they are wet. Have you tried more than one way of serving your budgies the food? Like maybe peg a chunk of food so it hangs into the seed dish for your sight challenged bird.

My macaw absolutely loves mashed mushy food like puree but neither my cocky or budgie will touch it.

jhaylo

Moving in
Real Name
j
The main downside I can think of is the change to the fiber, as it is altered during blending, which could cause runny stools perhaps? It would also spoil a lot faster than chopped veggies. Other than that, I am not sure!
I could probably handle the short timeframe with spoiling... Hadn't thought about the fiber content though. I'll look more into that, thank you!

jhaylo

Moving in
Real Name
j
My budgie wont eat small bits of veg, he will only eat large pieces that hang from the roof of his cage and he loves it if they are wet. Have you tried more than one way of serving your budgies the food? Like maybe peg a chunk of food so it hangs into the seed dish for your sight challenged bird.

My macaw absolutely loves mashed mushy food like puree but neither my cocky or budgie will touch it.
I've been trying different textures, sizes, foods, etc. with them both. I'm planning to keep it up with my other budgie but with Benji, he really just doesn't bite at them hard enough. Texture and size aside. I've watched him, but since I've seen him do well with a more mushy/puree texture, I wasn't sure if there was any nutritional fallbacks to it though.
In any case, thanks for the input!