• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black Market for Eagle Feathers

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Dang! I never knew that!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know what the solution is - for me I just don't give feathers to anyone who asks for them for free for the ceremonies. Around Tucson AZ., there is a whole industry that goes on with Eagle, Hawk and macaw feathers. Almost all of the people who are begging for free feathers are scammers and when they get feathers they sell them to anyone.

Many whites have joined in with the Indians' ceremonies just to use the drugs that the Indians are allowed to use in their ceremonies.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I don't think we get many eagles out by us, but I've heard it's illegal even to possess hawk or eagle feathers, even if you just find them on the ground. Otherwise I'd pick up the occasional find to send in with our donation feathers *washing my hands thoroughly afterwards of course.) Sad that folks feel they need to resort to poaching ever.

I don't know what the solution is - for me I just don't give feathers to anyone who asks for them for free for the ceremonies. Around Tucson AZ., there is a whole industry that goes on with Eagle, Hawk and macaw feathers. Almost all of the people who are begging for free feathers are scammers and when they get feathers they sell them to anyone.

Many whites have joined in with the Indians' ceremonies just to use the drugs that the Indians are allowed to use in their ceremonies.
All of this is just messed up. As if the poaching isn't bad enough.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did you read in the link what the poachers do to the eagles?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It's just sick. There is no punishment great enough for people who torture animals. :darkcloud: