• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black lines in beak + beak chipping

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Since I started medicating my bird after going to the vet, I noticed these little black lines appearing inside the mouth at the top part of the beak. Could it be bruising from the syringe scraping on the beak? She tries to bite the syringes a lot and tends to wiggle around even when I try my best to have a firm grip. Today while she was biting part of her beak (the bottom on the side) chipped off. :/ There was no bleeding and she didn't chirp but after it was over she kept rubbing her beak on me. I was a bit shocked and at first I didn't even realize it was her beak... I think that part will grow back since it was the see-through part but it's still concerning. I'm supposed to be getting results for a test she underwent so I plan to mention it to the vet soon, but I was just wondering if anyone had any idea in the meantime.

She also has what seems to be saliva bubbles when she opens her beak sometimes but the vet had trouble seeing them and said she wasn't too concerned about it... Are some bubbles normal? It just looks like clear saliva bubble at back of mouth when she opens her beak. At first I thought it was due to her infection but she's been on antibiotics for a few days now and the bubble is still there.

Thanks!

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I've noticed that the inside of cheekys upper beak is filled with little ridges. Is that what you're seeing?

Linearis

Walking the driveway
No, it's new and black which is unlike the rest of her beak. Her beak is also overgrown so I'll have to get the vet to file it during her follow-up visit.. It's not causing her trouble eating but sometimes she bites the syringes so hard her beak chips. Happened twice already.