• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black Lentils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I just saw black lentils for the first time at Whole Foods.
I sprout all kinds of stuff for my guys and as far as lentils go, they have had green,orange,blue. The thing is, they all looked the same, small and flat.
The black lentils were about the same size, but were not flat, they were round, looking more like giant black quinoa. Just curious if anyone else has seen/tried black lentils. (they were a true black)

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
I haven't tried Black lentils before. They sound interesting and yummy.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Black beluga lentils or lentils du puy maybe? I use the latter variety in chop. Both hold their shape better than regular lentils and don't get as mushy. :)

SpoiledFids

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Yes, I buy the same black lentils from Whole Foods. I've always cooked them, though, never sprouted. Of course, I've never gotten any variety of lentil to actually sprout, so I haven't tried with the black ones. They do hold up nicer than the more common green or orange ones when cooked.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Thanks guys! :highfive: I think I'll try them when I get a chance to get back there (hour ride)
I generally don't eat any kind of beans, except when I make chili...:hehe:
Ellen, I didn't even know there were different 'types' of lentils, I tried what I have in the steamed portion of my mash and they def got mushy so the fids only get them sprouted now...do you know if there are other colors? I thought I saw a yellow variety awhile ago, but now I think it probably was yellow split peas.:rolleyes:
Ashley, I found everything I tried sprouting from Whole Foods has sprouted really well. I usually use my Easy Sprouters, but with the lentils or any other bean for that matter, I rinse a small amount (1-2 tbl),put it in a small glass bowl/cup with warm water and a tiny bit ACV. Let soak overnight in a dark cabinet and drain and rinse the next morning, at this point I keep it in a small drainer and rinse 2-3 times a day.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Ooh, my husband's favorite dish is lentils, so I will have to see if our whole foods has them! Thanks for the idea...they sound yummy.

ParrotsforKeeps

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Meg
Black lentils are great. Extremely high levels of polyphenols, anti-oxidents, etc., just like most black/dark purple food! Not to mention the fact that they taste great. They can be a bit hard to find, so good you did! As far as I know they are safe to sprout, so long as you let them go until they have at least a 1/2" tail, like other safe to sprout legumes. I have not tried it, though, I soak and cook mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.