• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bitting problems

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
What’s the best way to stop the bitting. He’s been doing a lot more lately. He bites for different reasons . More are less when I want him to step up and he doesn’t want to.

Max83

Walking the driveway
The majority of people say try to not react when he bites you so he understand he reach nothing doing that.

kanth

Strolling the yard
How old is he? My green cheek always bit instead of stepping up when he was going through his "puberty" years

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
More are less when I want him to step up and he doesn’t want to.
Of course. You didn't "ask". You didn't offer a "reward". You did not offer a "choice". You demanded he step up. He said no in bird speak (you got bit).

He can't bite if you don't offer your flesh as a "target". Use something else. Anything else he will readily step up on. Around here we have the "magic slipper". Since feet seem to be a thing, a shoe fits the bill.

So you see it's not the bird. It's the way you're handling him.
Chirpy Slipper.jpg

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Reward him with a few bites of millet every single time he steps up nicely. You can even have short little 3 minute step up training sessions. Also, try the back of your hand or arm instead of your finger. You can also try perch training or target training. Try to make everything his choice and never force him to do anything. Lure him with millet if need be.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Of course. You didn't "ask". You didn't offer a "reward". You did not offer a "choice". You demanded he step up. He said no in bird speak (you got bit).

He can't bite if you don't offer your flesh as a "target". Use something else. Anything else he will readily step up on. Around here we have the "magic slipper". Since feet seem to be a thing, a shoe fits the bill.

View attachment 283603
:heart::heart::heart:

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
How old is he? My green cheek always bit instead of stepping up when he was going through his "puberty" years
He’s a year old and Hormnal so I’m sure part of it is that.

View attachment 283603
Okay, I’ll find something he’s not scared of , I have tried little perches and I go slow but he of course gets scared and takes flight. I do offer millet and it works sometimes but not everytime. It’s like he picks and chooses when the millet is worth it.

Reward him with a few bites of millet every single time he steps up nicely. You can even have short little 3 minute step up training sessions. Also, try the back of your hand or arm instead of your finger. You can also try perch training or target training. Try to make everything his choice and never force him to do anything. Lure him with millet if need be.

Oh yes I’ve tried millet it works sometimes.
I think my main problem is I do it olny to get him in the cage, and of course he’s a little smarty and had put two and two together. I realize it’s my fault on that part. If I let him choose he would never go in and with dogs in my house he’s has too when there around.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
He probably does pick and choose when the millet is worth it. When Buddy wouldn't step up to leave her cage, I would just so "okay, so I guess you want to stay here," and leave her in the bedroom. Sometimes she just wanted to be left alone.