• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bits has arrhythmia

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
As the title say Bitsy was diagnosed with arrhythmia today. Because it was only diagnosed by listening to his heart and not by electrocardiogram its really hard to say how serious it is. Which is scary. Plus the vet seem pretty concerned. My vet clinic is actually in talks right now with veterinary cardiologist who will do remote diagnostics. They have EKG or some type of machine hooked up at the clinic and have it read by the cardiologist.

I'd like to do it but since my mom pays for it it's really up to her. Right now we have no idea how much it cost as the clinic is still looking into it. So hopefully it won't be too much. Bits will have his annual checkup, where he get vaccines updated, flea and ticks meds, and his thyroid check in April so we'll look in to it more then.

He such a good natured dog, he's well liked at the vet clinic. He went in this time because he has a sore on his paw he keeps licking at. He done this before because of what we assumed was food allergies. Not sure why he's doing this time but we have a spray that will help with the itchiness and it's also has an antibiotic in it too. So hopefully that will help and stop the cycle of the licking it.

On a personal note this has been a rough month for me. I feel all out of sorts. Between the death of one my closest friends and the one year anniversary of Zane's death it been really hard. Not to mention another really close friend is in the hospital and is most likely terminal. So I'm having a really hard time staying forced on things. Forum wise I tend to stick to the more fluffy side of things and haven't paid alot of attention to long post like this one. :unsure1: So I apologize if I've missed things, just know it's not because I don't care it just been a hard month.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about Bitsy's cardiac issues. My poodle mix, Caleb, has an AV block causing arrhythmia and in 2017 he was also diagnosed with slightly thickened mitral and tricuspid valves and some leakage. He was first diagnosed when he was 2 years old in 2014. Since then he goes to the cardiologist once a year and there were no changes last year from the 2017 tests. He does not need to be on any medication at this time and is very active. Issue was first noted when I brought him in for his yearly vaccinations and the vet heard an abnormal heartbeat. Try not to stress out and wait to see what the cardiologist has to say after he has further testing. Caleb gets an echocardiogram and sometimes an atropine response test.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Sorry about Bitsy's cardiac issues. My poodle mix, Caleb, has an AV block causing arrhythmia and in 2017 he was also diagnosed with slightly thickened mitral and tricuspid valves and some leakage. He was first diagnosed when he was 2 years old in 2014. Since then he goes to the cardiologist once a year and there were no changes last year from the 2017 tests. He does not need to be on any medication at this time and is very active. Issue was first noted when I brought him in for his yearly vaccinations and the vet heard an abnormal heartbeat. Try not to stress out and wait to see what the cardiologist has to say after he has further testing. Caleb gets an echocardiogram and sometimes an atropine response test.
Thankyou! I'm sorry to heard about Caleb's heart problems but it's nice to have some reassurance from someone who's been down a similar path
:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thankyou! I'm sorry to heard about Caleb's heart problems but it's nice to have some reassurance from someone who's been down a similar path
:hug8:

I was very stressed when the vet told me that something was off. I was extremely nervous on the drive to the cardiologist the first time (still get stressed when we go back yearly) and was so happy that my best friend was available to go with Caleb and me. Do you have any information about Bitsy's history/pedigree? I adopted Caleb from the shelter when he was 3 mos. old so have no idea about his background or parentage.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Do you have any information about Bitsy's history/pedigree? I adopted Caleb from the shelter when he was 3 mos. old so have no idea about his background or parentage.
Bitsy came from an accidental litter from one of my brother's friends. So I know what his parents look like. His mom look like a small labrador and I'm fairly certain that she's beagle/lab mix. Apparently that mix is what some consider a "designer breed."

His dad look like a black Belgium shepherd but with floppy ears. Since Bitsy has one blue eye, I think maybe he might has Australian shepherd. Most people think husky when they see his eyes but I personally don't see any other husky traits in him.

I usually say he's a lab/beagle/shepherd mix. I'm more certain about his mom's mix than his dad, as "designer dogs" were really popular when he was born. I love to do a DNA test if a had extra cash and if I trusted dog DNA kits (which I've heard mix things about)

Here some pics of him :)
20190222_072216.jpg 20181031_172027.jpg 20181004_142107.jpg Puppy pic here
FB_IMG_1538412763806.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's a beautiful boy! Sending positive thoughts for him.
Hope things get better for you the rest of the year.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
He's a beautiful boy! Sending positive thoughts for him.
Hope things get better for you the rest of the year.
Thankyou! I hope so too :)