• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Charlie is generally a sweet bird. He loves his head scratched and to be with you at all times . He has started to bite more now . I don’t know if it’s a “ I think I’m the boss” thing or if it’s because he’s becoming sexual mature. I know it’s not out of fear . Any suggestions on how to handle it? Should I ignore it ? I don’t think he’s bitting as hard as he could . ( which is good) he’s hatch date is 5/29/17 so he’s about 9 months old

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I don't know what might be contributing to this change, but it would probably be best to avoid any situations that lead to biting, as this could reinforce the behavior very quickly. For example, if scratching a certain spot on his head tends to lead to biting, avoid that area. The more he bites (for whatever reason), they more he'll tend to turn this into a normal behavior, which is something you don't want. Hope this helps, but I'm sure other folks will have better suggestions! :) One of my conures came to me a serious biter and, though he's made a lot of progress, it's still something he'll try to do now and then. It's a process!

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
He bites when I stop . He wants to to continue with the head scratching. He tends to also do it when I want him to “step up” and he doesn’t want to .

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Indy will do this sometimes when he is in a bad mood (usually before bed time he gets cranky, just like a toddler, lol). This is why it is so important to pay very close attention to body language.

When you stop petting his head, do you let your hand linger in biting range? How do you respond when he bites you? How do you respond when he doesn't want to go back in the cage? The more details you give me, the better the advice I can give you. :)

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Yes typically my hand is in bitting range . I sometimes say “ouch” I try not to because I’ve heard you shouldn’t . I typically just ignore it. When I try to put him back in his cage he just runs up my arm to my shoulder . Most of the time when I’m trying to get him to “ step up” and he bites he’s on my shoulder.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
After you say 'ouch,' what do you do? If he is bonded to you, saying ouch isn't necessarily a bad thing, but what you do after that matters.

As for putting him back in the cage, he doesn't have any incentive to go in because he'd rather be with you! I suggest you teach him to go into the cage on his own. When you want him to go back home, put his favorite treat in his food bowl. For my tiels, it is usually cashew bits or a pellet berry, sometimes millet. None of these are part of their regular diet. I call them the evening 'dessert!' They always fly/climb back into the cage on their own for their favorite treat. My hand isn't ever involved. I make sure not to rush them, though. If I have to leave the apartment, I give them 30 minutes, even though it takes less than 5 minutes usually.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
If I say ouch I don’t do anything after that , I’m afraid if I continue the head scratches he’ll just connect bitting with getting what he wants . Usually at that point he climbs back to my shoulder. I definitely teach him to go in the cage on his own.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's best not to react to the bite. They can start to think it's a game as they don't associate your reaction with pain, anger, etc. They just know you reacted and that makes it fun. Also, trying not to do whatever caused the bite, obviously. Your tiel is outgrowing being a baby now and my guess is testing you a bit.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
If I say ouch I don’t do anything after that , I’m afraid if I continue the head scratches he’ll just connect bitting with getting what he wants . Usually at that point he climbs back to my shoulder. I definitely teach him to go in the cage on his own.
I think it is good that you do your best not to respond, but I think it would be even better if you were to put him down on a play gym or something turn your back to him. Sitting on your shoulder should be a privileged, and if he bites you he shouldn't be reward with time your your shoulder. By putting him down and turning your back to him, you are making it very clear with your body language that biting behavior does not get him ANY attention, not even passive attention.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
What a cutie. During that time they're growing, maturing and being hormonal so whatever triggers him to bite, he will. Sometimes they can become overstimulated (like the head scratching) so finding other distractions or taking breaks in between helps. Baby will give me a soft nip after cuddling as if he's had "enough," so no problem and find something else to entertain and play.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
1.) Parrots don't bite to be "dominant" or to be "the boss"
2.) If a parrot is "testing" something out, this could be exploratory behavior and should not be discouraged - just encouraged in the *correct* setting (i.e. bite this instead!)
3.) By ignoring a bite you are indirectly encouraging a bird to bite because they feel the need to bite.
4.) The best way to teach a parrot to not bite is to not get bitten in the first place (I know, easier said than done!)

Bird doesn't want to step up? Maybe he's not ready and that's okay! Walk away and try again in a few seconds or minutes. Want him to really get up? Well, what's in it for him? What reward will he get for stepping up that would make it worth his while?

If you do get bit, get them off you! Gently, of course! And try to figure out why they bit, and what you could do in the future to avoid bites.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Buddy is a bit nippy, but part of it is that she's blind in one eye, so she beaks more than she used to. That being said, when she bites, I just ignore her. It's generally when I'm scritching her and she's not happy about it.

If I'm in her cage and she nips, I don't respond because it's her turf.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I’m figuring out that’s sometimes he’s mad because I stop giving him head scratches and he wants me to keep going

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
BITING IS NOT A NATURAL CONFLICTS RESOLUTIONS OR COMMUNICATIONS IN BIRDS. Instead they are handled with body language and vocalizations. They convey their feelings beforehand or will fly off to avoid physical contact. If needed, the beak is protection against predators such as snakes and raptors or if it feels cornered and frighten then the need to bite will be from the natural instinct of self -preservation. But not against others in their own flock. In their natural environments, competition and/ or conflict between parrots rarely escalates to physical violence. Instead, they vocalize (scream) and/or use body language by strutting, posturing, and fluffing feathers to make themselves look bigger. Beaks are used for climbing, eating, playing (wrestling) and preening... not for biting another flock member.

I was told many years ago not to use the earthquake method. (Shake your hand when the bird goes to bite). When your bird is on your hand don't shake your hands to unbalance the bird has this will cause trust issues between your hand and the bird. This person told me the idea is to make your hands a safe and trusted place for your birds and if you shake your hand to unbalance the bird then the bird will come to see your hand as unsafe and will learn to distrust your hands. If your bird views your hand has unsafe and distrusts your hand, it will more likely bite the hand, then fly away. The use of gloves can also cause problems further down the line. It would probably be better to find out what is triggering the bite and there are many different types of triggers. Watch the eyes. If they pin, pull your hand away.

Just keep in mind that patience is key. Never mistreatment a bird who bites. Birds remember mistreatment, and they hold grudges. Any interaction you have with your bird should be bonding and trust-building. Parrots and other animals learn best when wanted behaviour is rewarded right as it occurs and BAD behaviour is not. (It’s that simple).

I tolerate the bite, which can be really hard at times. Under NO circumstances should you yell while been bitten. Instead say No biting or naughty bird in a firm, displeased voice and give the bird a very dirty look. Show the bird your displeasure by giving it a REALLY DIRTY LOOK ("The Evil Eye"). Serious -- you have to look at it as if it were the lowest of the low, or pond scum, or something you might find stuck to the bottom of your shoe. Parrots are extremely empathetic creatures who watch our facial expressions closely. He will understand your displeasure if you give him a tremendously dirty look. The bird will understand that you are unhappy and will try very hard not to do it again. I don’t put my birds back in the cage has I feel this makes for resentment. Instead I put the bird back on its stand and scold it.

For the record, in the two and half years that we had Marlin, our Alexandrine Parakeet I was bitten hard once. I put him on the stand and scolded him and after that he never bit anyone else. This happened when he was around 7 months old. Henry our male Eclectus did the same and I also put him on the bird stand and scolded him and he hasn’t bitten my wife or me since. But he still gives strangers a nip if they FORCE themselves onto him. I tell people to give him a sunflower seed and let him come to you.

But if you make a show out of being bitten, then the bird can find it quite entertaining and can be encouraged to bite. This is called learnt bad behaviour.
So the parrot will nip again, because the human inadvertently rewarded it for nipping, by yelling. Sooner or later, the experimental nips will actually cause damage to the human (emotionally as well as physically), and the human's response becomes yelling, something to the effect of "YOU BAD BIRD, YOUR MOMMY (or DADDY) LOVES YOU, HOW COULD YOU BITE YOUR MOMMY (or DADDY)??!??!! The bird doesn't understand what's happening here, of course..... It thinks this is a wonderful new game. You know, bite a finger and your person makes lots of LOUD and WONDERFUL noises.... Bite hard enough and your person will also jump around... Bonus points…… This becomes learnt bad behaviour and they will actively hunt out skin to play this wonderful game of entertainment.

Do not leave the room. The bird may have bitten you to go away. So you leaving the room is what the bird wants. Therefore, you are teaching the bird that by biting, you will leave. This is learnt bad behaviour

You can use a Toy/treat as a distraction, But it's just that 'a distraction'. It's not really teaching the bird acceptable behaviours. What you're really teaching the bird, is that by biting, it gets a toy/treat. Again, learnt bad behaviour.

Contrary to human beliefs, parrots think yelling is a fantastic and fun response and it will actually reinforce a behaviour. Parrots really enjoy it when humans yell at them. Parrots often scream simply for the fun of it so it is a fallacy to think they perceive that yelling is a reprimand. On the contrary, they generally interpret yelling as positive feed-back. This is what called The Drama Reward.

Birds use their beaks like a third hand and they will use this "third hand to help them onto your hand when you are start the training of step up. This is because the bird is unsure how stable your hand is so they test your hands stability with their third hand before stepping up.

This scenario happens when an inexperienced owner is not clear in their signals to the parrot. For example, when offering a hand for the bird to step up, an inexperienced owner often isn't quite sure of him/herself... so their hand motion is uncertain. The bird may wish very much to climb on, but is unsure of the stability of the hand will reaches with its beak (The beak functions as a third hand) to steady the human hand. The human, afraid of that beak, pulls their hand away. Now the bird is confused!

Now each time the human's hand is offered, and the bird attempts to grab the hand with its beak to hold it steady so it can climb on. The human jerks their hand away. The bird has no idea what has happened but if the scene is repeated (as it usually is), the bird will learn that it's beak will make the hand go away. The bird doesn't really want the hand to go away, but it is fun to control one's human's hand so the behaviour will happen again and a-gain. Once again, the parrot has no idea it has done anything wrong.

TARGET TRAINING:
To teach targeting, the bird must first be clicker trained, this means that the birds understands that a click equals reward, the reward can be praise or a food item

Then you need to decide what to use for the target, I use a chop stick and it can’t be a hand-held perch that the birds step up onto. The chop stick must only be used for training sessions and not for play outside the training sessions, otherwise they lose their meaning.

Use T-stand to confine the bird to the area which helps it to concentrate on the chop stick. Start by holding the chop stick near the bird and Click and reward for any movement toward the chop stick. Then withhold the reward until the bird touches the chop stick, Click and reward.

Teach him to touch it with a gentle grip of the beak as birds have a tendency to open their beak to touch it. If you have a bird that is very aggressive and wants to grab the chop stick out of your hand, then you will need to hold onto the chop stick and not let him pull it out of your hand.

The first time he does a gentle grab Click and reward with extra treats and praise. This is an “recognition moment ". He should soon get the idea of the gentle grip. Once he understands that, only Click and reward for gentle grip touches.

Once the bird is reliably touching the chop stick from the perch, by having him move up, down, right and left, we can then move the bird to the table top training area. If the bird seems nervous at first, go ahead and move the chop stick close to him to begin with. Then start moving it back a little at a time, and Click and reward for each gentle grip touch. Soon you should have him following the chop stick anywhere on the training area. This usually only takes two or three short sessions to train, but don't be discouraged if it takes longer.

The benefits of teaching a bird to target with a gentle grip, is that grabbing something with his beak is natural for him.

If your bird is cage bound, then start target training in the cage. This may have to take more time, but no need to rush things. Empty the food bowl and then when you Click and reward, you simply drop the treats into the food bowl. When you are finished with your training session. refill the food bowl.

Once a cage bound or aggressive bird has learned to target, you can start teaching him to step up using the target. Just don't use your arm first to step up on if there is any chance of being bitten. In training, we ALWAYS aim to avoid bites. Use a hand-held T- perch for the bird to step up on. You can either hold the clicker on the target stick and the perch with the other hand or use a mouth click. Hold the target where he will have to step onto the perch to reach the target. Take your time and don't worry if you must back up. We don't want to frighten the bird. When the bird becomes better at stepping up, you can then teach behaviours away from the cage.

Targeting is just one of the tools we use in training. The important things to keep in mind about this behaviour are:

The basic idea of targeting is to have the bird follow an object to touch it.

Once he has the idea of the gentle grip only reward him for that.

Always Click and reward for every gentle grip of the target.

Use “recognition moment " to help keep up his interest.

Try and end sessions on a positive note.

Have fun, keep training simple and never train if you are in a bad mood.

Once a bird has learned a behaviour, he won't forget it.

Happy training.