• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting quaker baby!!!

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Our baby Quaker is 10weeks old now and is consistently biting us. She mostly bites when she's on my fiance's shoulder. He immediately puts her down and she has a fit. I think she may be bored or just trying to get his attention. She does bite me also but not as much as him. She also walks up and bites my dog whenever she's near him. It's not aggressive in any way so I'm thinking shes a baby and is using her mouth/beak like human babies and puppies do. She has toys and a particular toy she loves and plays with all the time. When she bites it mostly feels like a painful pinch. She absolutely chews and bites EVERYTHING she comes in contact with. We want to break her of this .I read we should not allow her on our shoulders which is difficult due to her being relentless about getting on our shoulders. I'm hoping someone on this forum has dealt with this and can please give advice!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If baby wants to be with you, the best "punishment" is not getting to be with you. So I put them down immediately, give them a nasty look, and turn my back on them. Body language is super powerful.

Is there a playstand or something sh can use that will put her by you but not on you while she learns her limits? Bring toys with you to the couch when you sit together, for example, to give her to distract her

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Mizzely that is great advice! We haven't tried turning our backs or giving a nasty look. I guess we are worried about hurting her feelings. She doesn't have a playstand but she does have toys although I havent tried distracting her while she's on our shoulders. I'm not sure what to do when she wants on our shoulders how to keep her off because she just won't stop getting up there. Thank you for your advice. How old are they when they stop being biting little babies?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on how fast a study they are :lol: Each of them is so individual and it depends on the training and how easily they understand

It's okay to hurt her feelings a little. Think of it this way - how would another bird respond? If they were getting bit, they would fly away. She needs to learn that biting isn't rewarded. If she continues to get the Ultimate Reward of You despite her biting there isn't really an incentive for her to stop :)

As for the shoulder thing, I just try to redirect. I usually put them on my leg if I am sitting and give a treat when they get there. They like the shoulder because it puts you near the face which is where they can feel safe and close, especially for a baby that is quite young still.

It's all about managing the rewards really :) If you show her that she gets things she wants when she behaves, she will be more likely to behave. If there is no incentive to do the behavior you want...well quakers are stubborn and need motivation :lol:

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
The biting has gotten better. Shew! We have worked on redirecting by training with stepup and playing with her toys. We also show our unhappiness with the behavior and that seems to be working great. I think we have allowed her a little too much freedom and giving her what she wants when she wants it. She gets a mean look and stern tone and then gets ignored for awhile. Thanks for the great advice!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That is great news Alicia! @Birdlover42 - Hope she will continue to progress and understand. It is amazing with all critters how much training can make a difference. I've seen it so often with our furry friends.